Shadow of Death: Chapter 13: Anton

The book of ancients offered nothing as a guide to help me. It was like looking at a haystack knowing that the proverbial needle was probably in there somewhere but finding it would prove troublesome. Then there was the issue that the needle might not actually exist, maybe it was a lie.

Marking the page that I was at, I closed the book with a defeated sigh. Being distracted was not any help, the thought of Sarah laying on our bed was a hindrance, it was all that I could think of. With her in mind and an afternoon of doing nothing, I happily set out to find her and found something awful instead.

Gabriel was here, and he was holding Brannon. He wouldn't dare harm him and knowing him as I did, I knew that even if he wanted to, he couldn't hurt a child. Innocent or not, the child was safe. But it was what Gabriel was, was the issue. His goodness and purity would leach into the child, dulling the evil within him.

"Put him back into his bed Gabriel."

He smiled and turned back to the crib, gently placing Brannon back.

"I am not a bad angel Anton, you know the child is safe with me."

"Safe he might be, but I know your intention, step away."

Dutifully he tipped his head and stepped away, moving half way across the room.

"There you go, all is well. Sarah, your child awaits you."

She looked at me, and I shook my head. "Do not listen to him, push the bed over to me."

Sarah frowned but did as I asked, pushing the crib over and letting me pick Brannon up.

"You are curious, aren't you Sarah? You want to know why you could not pick your child up but your beloved husband could."

Her eyes darted back to Gabriel, frowning with concern.

"He's re-infusing the child with the necessary amounts of evil that is required of the son of Satan. See that's the problem, a little bit of goodness in a child so young and it can change the future. Even with you, my dear, you are still too virtuous, and you would have tipped the scales forever. Imagine that, the devil's son being a good boy, how truly evil."

Gabriel smiled wickedly with a light chuckle.

"Enough of the games." I snapped. "Why are you here?"

"To discuss your little battle with Michael. It seems that you've managed to be noticed by others and I was asked to come here and have a little chat with you and Sarah. And of course, we noticed that those darling birds aren't doing what they are supposed to so we figured that the devil had shut up shop, so to speak and we knew that we had to act promptly."

"So you come here and harass my wife and try to corrupt our son?"

Gabriel feigned hurt as he clutched at his chest.

"Harass? That is such an ugly word, Anton. Sarah and I were having a pleasant conversation."

He took a step forward, his arms opening wider.

"I'd like to discuss the future with you, as civil beings that can act responsibly for and on behalf of their respective worlds."

"You want to negotiate a truce?"

His eyes turned to Sarah, a little amused as his gaze lingered over her.

"Yes, I have been sent as a peacemaker. But the question is, can the devil accept a truce?"

I rolled my eyes with a scoff.

"That is a ridiculous question to ask Gabriel; you damned well know I can. What I can't accept is your world threatening Sarah."

Gabriel looked at me with a lot of confusion.

"What do you mean threaten ?"

"After one of your angels torched her shop, a demon found a message written by an angel on the wall of the shop. Someone threatened us with a battle in an open field, and it said the queen would be dead."

"I can assure you that any torching or threats were not authorised by my world Anton, we do not do things that way. You should know that."

Brannon was beginning to fuss more; I looked at Sarah with concern.

"Stay and feed him here, twinkle toes and I shall retreat to the study. Please join us when you are ready."

Her eyes darted to Gabriel, wide and full of fear.

"Sarah." he offered softly, "I told you, I have come here in peace, there is no harm. You are safe in this world, and I will not hurt you or the child."

"Except that you broke into our home, you did your infusing thing with our child. That is harming us."

His head tilted slightly as he looked at her and smiled appreciatively.

"How true, forgive me. I did not mean harm by it."

"But you did." She snapped angrily. "You intended to make Brannon more virtuous."

Her hands went to her hips as the anger began to increase. All I could do was smile; she was even more gorgeous when she got angry.

"Did you see what happened to Michael when he crossed me? I don't miss, and if you'd like a bloodied nose, then I'd be happy to help."

Gabriel chuckled, nodding with his amusement.

"Yes, I did see him. It was rather funny; the bruising took a long time to die down."

The man walked towards the door, stopping at the angry woman. He leaned a little closer.

"No, I don't want a broken nose nor a bloodied one. If I lied then it was a mistake from a poor choice of words. Making Brannon more virtuous is not harmful Sarah, it just removes a little of the evil from him. When I said that I would not hurt or harm you or the child, I meant that I would not physically hurt. Like a cut or a broken bone." He paused for a moment as his head tilted back slightly "Or death. That is what I meant and believe me; it is entirely possible that I could do any of those things if I wanted to. Now, take the child and feed him before your husband kills me with his death stare."

Sarah took Brannon from me, watching as I showed Gabriel out of our bedroom.

"Across the hall," I said, gesturing to the door.

I was waiting for the I know, but it never came. Gabriel opened the door and walked into the darkened room.

"Do you know what electricity is Anton?"

"I prefer the subdued light of a candle. Mysterious and dark."

"Just like you." He offered with an inane grin, sitting on the wing back.

Pouring two drinks, I offered one to Gabriel before sitting down with my own. After seeing the fluff ball holding Brannon, I needed something strong.

"You should have called," I muttered.

"I prefer the personal approach."

"In my bedroom is a little too personal Gabriel."

He grinned with a shrug, taking a sip of the whiskey. With a satisfied groan, he looked at the glass.

"You've been into the personal collection, you naughty boy."

"I was of the understanding that it was for the use of all deities."

"With prior approval."

I said nothing, refusing to comment any further. Could I be blamed if I happened to find the most expensive and tastiest whiskey in the entire collection? And could I be blamed if I also happened to pilfer the entire collection of the most expensive and tastiest whiskey? Absolutely.