Shadow of Death: Chapter 27: Anton

Allison thumped down into her seat; her mood hadn't improved much. She'd gone on the walk through the castle, then through the parts of the underworld that were close to the castle. Cerberus was bounding around us, Allison thought he was on fire until Sarah told her that he was meant to be like that because he was the hound from hell.

Then the overgrown lizards flew over us, Allison shrieked, cowering to a nearby tree. She looked peculiarly at her sister who was not fazed by it, used to it after six months of life here.

Now Allison was seated in the front row of the chairs, waiting for the wedding to begin. I'd ensured her behavior with an old friend, one that I know would happily put her in her place should she even raise an eyebrow the wrong way.

William started by showing her his fangs, lowering them to the sharp points that frightened many. And if that wasn't enough, she had Eliria to deal with. Oh, let's not forget Alvarie either. The mad woman dragged her sword out and pointed it at her, telling her in no uncertain terms that she hoped to see tears of happiness for her much-loved sister.

Nolia was cooing over Brannon, happily sitting in his pram.

"Are you going to be well behaved?" I asked Brannon.

He grinned at me, and Allison scoffed.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," I muttered.

"You can't expect a mere mortal human to understand our kind, Anton."

I looked up and saw Gabriel standing beside me. Standing beside the pram I looked at the man that should be my brother yet like Sarah; I felt that I was alone in this world when it came to my siblings.

"Should I say thanks for coming? Are you going to behave yourself?"

"I'm not your problem Anton, I never was. Remember?"

"Yeah, that would be him."

Allison turned and followed the line of my gaze, looking at Michael as he wandered down the aisle. The weirdo even had a present under his arm.

"Is that another recording device Michael?"

Allison gasped, her eyes widened.

"No." He said with a restrained grin. "It comes from those who want to give a little back in return for the past."

I took the present and warily opened it, finding a rather large rubbery thing inside.

"Gee thanks, Michael, though I'd rather not have your used products."

Gabe began to chuckle, I thumped it to his arms and told him to deal with it.

"I have a question."

We turned to Allison who was still sitting on her seat between Eliria and Alvarie.

"If you are you and they are who I think they are, is there going to be someone else coming?"

Michael and Gabe turned to me, offering nothing in the way of an answer.

"You can answer, I have no idea what his intention is."

As he rolled his eyes, Michael turned with his charming smile that beamed brightly at Allison.

"There may be a chance that it may happen however you will never know. In fact, there aren't many that would know. It is best not to think about it Allison; there is no one that you can tell of these things so it would be ideal to ignore your thoughts."

Gabe followed me over as I walked to the area marked for the altar.

"Why did you bring a human to the underworld with so many deities here? And what happens when he turns up, what are you going to do then?"

"She is Sarah's only living relative Gabe; she has the right to have her family here."

"Then you should have done it on the surface."

"Vampires."

Gabriel huffed at me, glowering as his anger bubbled at the surface.

"Calm down fluff ball, she can have a partial memory alteration, and it will be fine. Besides, he won't turn up. You might think that there is no animosity, but I can assure you there is."

"You're wrong on so many levels Anton."

He turned to leave, stopping he looked over his shoulder at me.

"He's always loved you, and if I were you, I'd be prepared to say hello to him today."

Gabriel turned back to the aisle and sat down with the other deities.

Scanning the crowd, I wondered if it was possible. It had been far too long; I'd almost forgotten him. But that wasn't just my issue; he could alter to suit himself, to hide from those he needed to be free of. I could stand before him and not know any different.

Which in itself was a terrible shame. I could stand before my creator and not know him from another. Yet my so called brothers, they would know of him. I'd been cast out like the black sheep, spoken of in hushed tones and whispers, told what to do and struggled to be the real me. Was I that bad? It was my job to rule this world, to be the bad guy. Did I deserve their accusations?

Casting the thoughts aside, I watched as the demons gathered around. Life in the underworld had stilled for this one moment in time. A mere blip in an eternity yet it seemed to take far too long for my liking.

Catherine walked towards us with a broad smile and taking her seat after giving a nod. Sarah was ready.

It felt like everything in me had stopped working, I stood and looked at the office building that sparkled like a square gem. In front of the glittering backdrop, two figures approached.

One man walked tall and proud, he had been given a duty that was the envy of many, but to him, it was about his friendship with Sarah. Igor looked like it was his own daughter that he was delivering to her future husband. In a way I guess he did look upon Sarah as a daughter, one that he cared for immensely.

Sarah had her arm wrapped into Igor's, gliding down the aisle and smiling sweetly below the veil. To say that she looked beautiful would be an understatement. I think that there was a word yet to be created for her and this moment.