Tempt the Devil: Chapter 29: Anton

The grand councilor smiled with supremacy as she narrowed her eyes at us.

"We will discuss the answers and make our decision. You may wait in the reception area today."

Which meant that they had already made their decision and were just going to talk about what had been said. I took Sarah out of the room, finding the seats to one side of the reception desk.

"How long do you think they will take?"

"Not too long. If they were, we'd be downstairs in the lobby."

I smiled at her as I took her hand.

"You did well."

"Thanks. Did they give any hints on how long we will be separated for?"

With a sympathetic smile, I shook my head.

After ten minutes the intercom on the reception desk shrilled a sharp ringing tone, the woman turned to us.

"You have been called to return."

I stood and held out my hand to Sarah, she took it with a smile.

"Be brave." I said as we stopped at the doors "Remember what we discussed."

She nodded and we turned into the room, our fate in the hands of seven people who enjoyed tormenting others.

"Master Dremain, miss Walters. Please sit."

"The meeting that is phase two is now in session."

With the whack of the gavel Sarah flinched again, her grip on my hand tightened.

"We have discussed and have come to a unanimous agreement. Before I hand down the dates of the future phases we want to remind you of the more prominent issues. In regards to the date of return. If you cannot make a flight back before midnight Sunday night then you are to travel through the underworld to ensure that you are in this city by no later than one minute past midnight on Monday morning. Failure to do so will earn additional time for phase four. We refer back to the items to be sold as a part of the charity work, reminding you that no more than the current lot is to be sold. We will begin phase three on Monday at ten am, please ensure that the both of you are here and ready in accordance with tradition. Do you require a refresher on what is required master Dremain?"

"No thank you."

"Alright then. We remind you both that you are not to see each other for the entirety of phase four. If you are caught then additional time will be placed on the length. Can we trust you master Dremain or do we need to lock you into the underworld?"

"I will stay out of New York unless the council summons me."

She said nothing, more interested in turning the page of her notepad.

"Phase three is set to begin at ten am on Monday, the procedure will last an hour. Please ensure that your transportation is ready and waiting out the front for you. We do not want the humans seeing a transformation. You are permitted to deliver the subject to her place of residence and into the care of a demon keeper of your choosing. Who will that be master Dremain?"

"Rowan Stephens or by that stage Rowan Delacroix."

She wrote on her notepad, then she carefully placed the pen onto the table and clasped her hands. Painfully slow movements to drag everything out.

"Phase four is set to end on January thirtieth."

I felt the world sink around me. Sarah tightened her grip on mine, keeping her eyes trained to the front. A wordless gesture to show what, though? Was she upset that it was so long or relieved that it wasn't the worst that it could be? Personally, I had a mixture of both.

"You will be here at nine am where we will confirm that all has gone well. Is there anything that you wish to add?"

"No thank you."

I prayed that Sarah would remain quiet. No matter how many times I had said, don't object, don't rock the boat, I feared she would. Everyone had the right to be heard but this wasn't like a courtroom, there was no real justice in here. Their word was law and that was it. Complain and it just pissed them off.

"And you Sarah?" the grand councilor asked with a smug attitude.

It was almost like she was goading Sarah into taking the bait.

"No thanks."

And then Sarah smiled sweetly at them. Oh, she is a darling.

"Alright then, this meeting is at an end."

The gavel banged against the table and that was the end of it. For a few more days we were free.

Sarah was quiet the entire trip to her apartment but I could tell she wanted to say something. Maybe a whole lot of something. Her body sagged as we entered the apartment, the weight of the morning finally falling upon her. Still, she said nothing.

As she hung her coat in the cupboard her eyes met with mine. Full and glistening with tears that begged to be free. I wrapped my arms around her and held her tight, letting the emotions run free.

We were both tired, now that the morning was over I hoped that we might find rest. Even though I can survive on a few hours a day, I was tired from the lack of sleep last night. Or maybe it was stress.

I coaxed Sarah to the bed, ridding our bodies of the unnecessary items of clothing so that we could lay comfortably together.

"We are permitted to correspond by mail."

She said nothing, just looking up at me from her spot on my chest.

"It's not total silence, we just can't see each other."

"I don't understand why they need to do this."

"It's a test, Sarah. To make sure that our love is strong enough to endure an eternity."

Sarah yawned as she snuggled into me. "It's stupid."

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder, my dear."

I laid on the bed with Sarah in my arms, staring at the ceiling yet again. So much for finding rest.