Shadow of Death: Chapter 8: Sarah

All we did was kiss, slow and passionate that was so perfect it seemed surreal. For this girl who had spent her days leading up to the birth being doted over and was now missing it, this was pure bliss. His attention was constant before the birth, and I don't think he realised how quickly it had changed. But for the emotional and tired person that saw things from the other side, I did see how different our dynamic was now. I almost felt inconsequential to his life, now that he had a child, I felt on the outer.

But not anymore. Our bodies lined up against each other, bare torsos and clothed from the waist down. Having his weight against me was wonderful for a short while, when it became too much, he rolled me onto his lap, sitting up to continue our love.

Now we were laying on the daybed under the window, leaning on the armrests and looking out to the dull red twilight of the underworld. Anton was beside me, his arm wrapped around me as he looked down at our son. Brannon was awake and feeding, looking up at his father who was running his fingers through his thick black hair. Well, at least I thought he was looking up at him, I had no idea where he was looking.

"You have accommodated so well to this world, and your parents haven't. Who would have thought that someone so small could cause such problems between his mother and father?"

"Anton," I murmured, almost sounding like I was about to tell him off.

"It's not okay so don't say it. I neglected you when you needed me the most; I was off in a bubble of my happiness. I don't want to see you looking at me the way that you did; I don't want to see the hurt in your face. I am not prepared to lose you, and I will do everything that I can to make things normal again."

I smiled at him, kissing the corner of his lips.

"There is nothing normal about us my love."

With a chuckle, he kissed me back, tiny little nips of sweetness.

"The gates are locked," Anton muttered, looking out to the underworld.

"I know that."

"No Sarah, all of the gates are locked."

I was a little confused, as I watched Anton I could see a lot of distress.

"There is a clause in a demons contract that if they are bound to care for a minor, then I must ensure that they are able to do so. It is the main reason that I have ensured that demons cannot procreate, the first sign of war and they'd be gone, caring for children. However, there were two that I made allowances for, the first was because he sacrificed his life for his child, the second because she sacrificed her life for another, both of which I found incredibly noble. Nicolas and I are not so different you know, both tempted by the flesh but deep down we are good to those we love. We care for those who are close to us; we do all that we can to help and protect."

Anton moved on the seat, facing me as a little red line glowed in the darkness. It stretched out from his body, like a glittering piece of twine.

"Each demon is connected like a string, not really seen but it is there. To have them home is so wonderful but then there are two strings that are slowly retracting into me. One more easily than the other but both so painful. It makes the wondrous times of having them all home not so great."

His fingers weaved into the glowing string; a soft yet pained smile crossed his face.

"I could not allow them to remain without a vision of the future that ensured their safety; I had no visions, so I did what was expected of me."

"You let them go."

Anton nodded as the string zipped back into him, his eyes lifted to the underworld.

"They are no longer bound to me, no longer demons. Returning them to their life was for the best, you understand that, don't you Sarah?"

"I do."

I lifted Brannon and gently began to rub his back.

"I can see your pain Anton, but maybe you're looking at this the wrong way. Maybe you should see this as the beginning of a friendship rather than a master and servant relationship. When you reopen the gates, invite them back. I'd like to see them again, and we both know that once Brannon starts to walk and talk he will want to play with children his own age."

With a smile Anton nodded, leaning over to plant lots of kisses on me. I giggled, enjoying his attention.

"Brilliant idea Sarah, I do like how your mind works."

He sat back on his legs, gazing over me in my almost naked form.

"And I do love how you parade around in your underpants. Very tempting. Now that the crows are not flying out, I can spend tomorrow lazing around the house with you and your tempting underpants."

I giggled more, hoping to ignore his fingers as they danced over my ribs.

"Put Brannon into his bed, my love."

Doing as he asked, I could feel the anticipation building in me. It would be nice to misbehave completely, but I knew that a little emotional love was good for the soul.

Returning to the daybed, Anton directed me to sit between his legs, facing away. His fingers slid my hair up, twirling it around and clipping it. Slowly they dragged back down the nape of my neck, followed by one kiss upon my spine.

Both hands worked my shoulders, pressing his fingers deep into the flesh. I didn't realise how much tension I held. Working across my shoulders and down my back, I could feel a sense of relaxation that I'd never felt before, even before knowing Anton.

Moving downwards he found all manner of pain in my lower back, making it so much better. The warmth he held in his hands was incredible, better than any hot water bottle. Then he pulled me backward, resting my back against his chest as his hands moved over my stomach.

Tears rolled down my eyes with the relief that he gave, the pills that I'd had were wearing off, and I was due to have another round. But I wanted to stop them; I didn't want to become dependent on pain relief.

As his hands moved higher over my stomach, I leaned my head back onto his shoulder. Gasping at the comfort that he offered by a simple touch. Even as his hands slid over my breasts, I didn't wince. They were tender, yet his touch didn't hurt.

Slowly he lowered me down to the daybed, leaning on one bent arm as he laid beside me. The other hand curved around my neck and slid up under my ear, holding me as he leaned down to me.

"My desire for you has not died Sarah; it's just been set aside to allow you to heal. Every day I shall put my hands upon you to show you that I cannot resist you and every day I shall bring you closer to being completely repaired. And when that day comes, I hope that you are prepared my beautiful wife, because I am not going to let you leave my sight."

I smiled as I stared up at him, watching those stunning eyes shimmer with the red of desire.

"And heed this warning my love, by the time I am finished with you, you will wish me away so that you can sleep without the pest annoying you for more love."

With a giggle I pulled him closer, tracing my lips over his.

"Never," I whispered.