Shadow of Death: Chapter 23: Anton

I was an idiot and deserved pretty much everything that she dished out to me. How could I think that she wouldn't have something planned? Did I really believe that she wouldn't want to tell me? And the fool that I was gave her a threat hidden under a veil of supposed cheekiness. I deserved not to be welcomed back into her arms and body for a long time.

Sarah was resting while Brannon was asleep, I was in the study allowing her peace without bothering her with my restlessness. But I could not find any peace for myself; my mind would not settle like it felt the need to taunt me for my actions.

With a huff I stood and stalked to the door, opening it, I saw Sarah at our bedroom door looking just as lost as what I was.

She'd changed into a long black chemise, the split riding high on her thigh. My gaze dragged over her body, the curves that had swelled with pregnancy were slowly subsiding. Lace and thin straps barely held her in, offering a plunging neckline with larger than usual cleavage.

Her long lengths of black hair had curled over her chest, the lustrous shine against her pale skin made her look intoxicating. I could feel my heart quicken at the sight of her incredible beauty. Did I think it was possible that heaven could enter hell? With Sarah, I saw heaven, my own desire in a woman.

"I couldn't sleep."

I nodded and looked at the gap between us, wondering if it was wise to cross it so soon. It seemed so large, filled with pain and misery and causing a lot of grief between us.

Fix it my mind whispered before the gap grows beyond repair.

"Sarah, I'm sorry. My words were poorly chosen and inappropriate."

"It's okay Anton; I understand that you weren't trying to be hurtful. I forget that you're not used to a relationship that is a two-way street."

How right she was. Demon women were nothing more than my pleasure, with Sarah it's our pleasure, and I'd forgotten that.

"I was a little harsh on you because I forgot. You are not used to this kind of relationship, and I am not used to being with someone who has not had a healthy one."

"Were you coming to see me?"

She nodded, a faint blush coloring her cheeks. Her hand came out, waiting for me to step out and take it. Happily complying I crossed the corridor and took her hand, closing the door behind us.

"I was concerned that after a week I wasn't ready, that my body hadn't finished healing and that things would get a little ugly. It doesn't seem enough; humans can go up to six weeks, maybe longer."

"But you're not human." I offered. "You are an immortal human infused with deity blood, and you birthed a deity. You cannot keep comparing yourself to them, Sarah."

"But you said immortal human; I'm still human."

I shook my head with a smile, walking us to the lounge.

"That is what you are classed as now, but it is not the complete truth. You still have some remnants of the human side within you, but it is rather minor. In order for you to have the same abilities as our demons or even me, you had to have deity blood. In the transformation they hooked you to a machine that withdrew your own blood and then pumped it back in, only when it went back in it was a little more like me. Maybe when you think of yourself you should think immortal rather than immortal human, drop the human part."

"So a week is normal then?"

"I wouldn't know Sarah; I don't fraternize with pregnant women. Well, I never used to."

She giggled, the color rising in her cheeks again.

"When are you returning to the office?"

"Tomorrow is what I had intended; I thought that getting everything in order before I whisk you away to somewhere a little sunnier was ideal."

"And what did Nicolas say to your suggestion?"

I chuckled, remembering his reaction.

"Well after I picked him up off the floor and ensured that he wasn't going to pass out again, he accepted his temporary duties."

Sarah smiled as she nodded, trying not to giggle. While Nicolas and I had discussed the future, Sarah took Rowan and the children upstairs to the first floor. There they discussed the changes that had been made in preparation for their future, that until the triplets were ready for school that they could be here with their parents. Castian could come until he started at his new school and on the holidays there would always be something here for him to do.

It was a bizarre situation, but then I liked things that were not normal. I now had two vampires working for me, not enslaved demons but normal vampires.

"And what of the incentives to lure him back?"

"He accepted them all without negotiation."

She frowned for a moment, looking up at me with curiosity.

"Nicolas has money Sarah, a lot of money. When he and Martine were still human and children they were adopted by a wealthy couple, and with some wise investments Nicolas has managed to grow that wealth into something that will ensure their good fortune for an eternity. That is what a smart immortal does Sarah, they plan for the long term."

She nodded slightly as the frown crinkled her face.

"So do you think he's going to be okay doing his temporary job?"

"I certainly hope so. I don't want to come back to a mess."

Not that I would. Nicolas didn't have the power to alter anything in hell anyway, and as my right hand, it was his duty to accept this role as a temporary.

Sarah hadn't heard anything of the conversation between Nicolas and me; she wasn't aware of what had been discussed. All that she knew was that in our week away, Nicolas was going to be in charge of hell. It was a scary thought.