Tempt the Devil: Chapter 19: Anton

Walking along the path through Central Park was relaxing. I'd found this kind of relaxation while walking through the underworld, through the glory of nature and the brilliance of how things thrive with a little help. We were taking a slow amble to the great lawn for a picnic lunch. Excited wasn't enough to describe Sarah's mood when she saw the basket of food. I'd even gone a little cliché and found a red and white check rug.

Her arms were wrapped around my waist, occasionally she would look up at me with a beaming smile. It was amazing how something so simple could make her so happy.

Today it was a little colder, Sarah was wearing a beanie that was pulled tight. The buttons on her jacket were done up, jeans and sneakers with thick socks. Personally, I didn't think it was that cold but I said nothing about it. Everyone felt the temperature differently.

A wind cut through the path, searing the cold against our skin. Sarah's cheeks flamed with a rosy pink, it was incredible against her pale skin.

Once in the warmth of the sun, she started to peel the layers of clothes from her body. Giggling as she pulled her beanie and messing her hair.

"There is a lot of people here today."

"Warmth and fresh air, a wondrous combination."

She was quiet for a moment but I knew that there was something brewing. Sarah frowned when she was thinking about treacherous thoughts.

"Come on, out with it."

Her gaze lifted slightly, under those deep and dark lashes she looked at me.

"Do you expect me to address you the same way as everyone else does?"

"No Sarah. You are not a servant, therefore, you are not expected to address me as they do."

"Okay good. I guess I don't have to tell you to stick it up your ass then."

I laughed as she smiled, her eyes lowering again.

"You are a troublemaker, did you know that?"

She shrugged one shoulder, her smile curling into her cheeks.

"The wedding is in two and a half weeks."

"Is it?"

Sarah nodded as she picked through the berries.

"You are terrible with dates."

"I am. It comes from an eternity of days and nights blending into each other. We require little sleep so I rarely take notice of when one day becomes the next."

"Do we know each other enough?"

I shook my head, leaning on one hand and moving closer to her.

"When we are ready to share our bodies then we will truly know each other. Opening ourselves to our mind and thoughts is one thing but to open our heart is entirely different. And even though it has only been a few days I know that you will not rush into it."

My free hand caressed her jaw, her heart beat quickened as my fingers trailed down her delicate neck.

"I know that you need to feel safe here." my hand uncurled on her chest and flattened to her sternum "Before you take another step."

I could feel the hard thump on her chest as she pressed her hand against mine. When focusing on sounds they always appeared louder but even without focusing I could hear it. It was like it beat louder for me to hear, locking me to the sound of my love.