Shadow of Death: Chapter 4: Sarah

Igor looked rather uneasy as he held Brannon. The man was huge, awkwardly holding an unknown entity in his arms. Brannon was well behaved, making a few noises as he yawned but no squawks or cries. Igor had commented several times at how lucky he felt for his first time holding a baby being as easy as it was.

He had brought a garden salad for our lunch, sitting for a while at Anton's request. I could consider myself thoroughly blessed to have such a devoted servant in Igor, no matter what mad request I made or at what unreasonable hour, the man was in the kitchen for me.

As I looked out to the view of the underworld, I watched the crows flying around. They'd swoop in real fast to annoy the gargoyles and then do the mad dash away from the dragon. It looked like it had become a game to them, one that they might regret if the dragon catches them.

The dragon's new mate was here already, she was just as cantankerous as what he was, but they were getting along which was all that mattered. Anton kept muttering that it was only a matter of time before they were doing the nasty on the front lawn, then we'd be inundated with dragons. In a way, he was almost right with his concern. If those two bred, there would be lots of little dragons running around the place, and we'd have to stop them from inbreeding. Which meant either sending the babies back to their true world or getting more.

"How often do dragons have babies?"

"Once a century."

"Oh good," I muttered. "So those two?"

Anton looked up as the dragon flew past the window, chasing after the crows. Cerberus was at the window with his paws on the sill, barking at them as they passed.

"She has only just finished her breeding cycle, picked for that reason. It will be another century before she is ready again."

He looked at me, knowing what I was thinking.

"And when they do have little dragons they won't be mature for another century. She will care for the babies until they are physically mature to breed for themselves. When that happens, they can return to their world."

Anton looked at me again and sighed. "Or we can keep them here and not split them up, making us not feel like horrible people for ripping a mother away from her babies."

Igor chuckled as Anton rolled his eyes, returning to his lunch.

"You are making me into a softy. The devil doesn't do nice Sarah."

"That may be so, but he could at least do what is right."

With a look that could wither many, Anton held strong for as long as he could and then relented, much to my delight.

As I finished the amazing salad that was probably the most normal thing I'd eaten in months, I looked out to the crows again.

"You know, if you really want to screw with Michael's mind, stop sending the crows to reap."

I looked at two men who were clearly stunned.

"And, when you've got his attention stop sending the doves as well."

"You do understand what you are saying, don't you Sarah? There will be no births or deaths."

"And one rather hurried offer of peace." I returned.

Anton chuckled as he sat back on his chair, amused at my idea.

"Well my love, I do believe you have an incredible mind. I love the idea. Maybe we might start with a warning shot, so to speak."

He stood from his seat, kissed me on my cheek and turned to Igor.

"Lunch was wonderful as always Igor."

"Thank you, my lord."

The man fumbled his way through passing Brannon back to Anton.

"I take plates down to kitchen, demons approach to meet you, little prince."

"Yes, best to show a united front, Igor."

Igor nodded with a slight bow. "I will be front and centre with a big smile."

When Igor had departed, Anton looked at me with a smile that was pleasant, but it masked his uncertainty. 

"Are you ready to show our son to our demons, my love?"

With a nod, I stood from my chair and pulled him in for a kiss, soft yet filled with need. I missed our connection that was found in our love making, our passion that was derived from lustful sex but most of all, I missed him. He was never far away, always close to care and watch over me but since Brannon's birth, he's backed away to let my body heal.

It was the right thing to do, I do not fault him for it, but it felt like he was pulling away from me, that I was no longer what he wanted or needed. Seeing the demon in his office today, hearing her words about what will happen now that I am a mother, it just added to the pain that was filling in my heart.

Sensing something was off, Anton looked at me as his lips traced over mine, gently nipping at the skin. He stepped back and put Brannon into his crib; I heard the pained sigh that ripped at my very being. I get it my mind whispered no longer desirable.

Turning away I moved towards the bathroom, passing through the walk-in robe I saw a dress waiting for me. It was plain black, flowing to the ground with long sleeves and a neckline that curved wide across the chest to the shoulders. Tears gently crept down my cheeks as I thumbed the dress, there was no way that this would look any good on me now.

All it was, was a reminder of the woman that I used to be. The woman that he had fallen in love with. But I wasn't her anymore.