Queen of Hell: Chapter 16: Sarah

Why I had been in the dining room I could not say, I had spent the majority of the time with Igor and Catherine, discussing the future. Feeling an uncertainty, I wandered through the tables to the front window. I watched the apartment block and felt a growing anger build.

"My lady?" Catherine whispered. "Is everything okay?"

"No, I'll be back later."

I pushed through the door and crossed the street, nearly getting hit by a car. The man frowned at me with a shake of his head. Slipping into the corridor of my apartment block, I listened to Anton and Allison talking. No matter how she tried, she wasn't going to win his affection. I stepped to the doorway watching as her lips pressed to his.

She held him tight, refusing to let go of the grip on his tie. I could see the struggle, Anton trying to pull away. With one push she was cast off, Anton heaving a sneer at her.

"How dare you." He snarled.

As he wiped away the cherry gloss on his lips, he looked at me.

"Sarah."

"Go on, tell her. Tell her how you were just going to tell me everything."

"Tell me what Anton?"

I could see the anger bubbling below the surface. Anton was struggling not to unleash whatever it was that was lying beneath the surface. His eyes flashed a dangerous dark red glint.

"Nothing happened."

Oh, I knew that one. I heard everything and completely believe you. But the problem here is that Allison got too close, and now we had issues.

"Don't lie." Allison laughed darkly. "Tell her how you were about to accept the offer. Isn't that why she was across the road while you were here, waiting for me?"

Well isn't that an interesting thought?

"No, nooo." Anton walked the step between us. "You know where I was; it is the truth. Take my phone and call Nolia."

He whispered the words in my ear. I could see Allison raise an eyebrow with her smug grin. She thought that I didn't believe him, she thought that she had been victorious in her little scheme to ruin my world.

"She will tell you everything you need to know," Anton whispered more. "Please, believe me; you are all that I want."

If there had even been a fraction of a shadow of doubt in his fidelity, I could have said that any of this was possible. Enough time had passed for them to be here together without me seeing a single thing. But there were so many lines of doubt with that thought. He didn't like Allison, at all. Anton made that obvious but having said that; it could be faked to throw me off the scent so to speak. He offered his phone to call his assistant, though it was highly likely that she would vouch for him no matter what. Anton's insistence that I stay at the restaurant he until came to get me was a worrying thought if I happened to think a little negatively. But would he be so stupid as to do it right under my nose? Cheaters have done a whole lot worse.

Anton's only saving grace in this situation of possibilities was Igor's words from not so long ago. Master will always be true to his soul.

Anton's whispered words about some kind of monitoring was a blur as I pressed my finger to his lips.

"It's okay." I returned quietly. "A wise man told me something about you that I believe to be the truth, I have no fear nor worry for your fidelity."

Especially after everything you have gone through to keep me.

I stepped aside and gestured for Allison to follow me. She reluctantly picked up her bag and walked to the door.

"I think you know where this is going," I said as I opened the main door. "We've never gotten along, and I am rather sick of your nonsense. If you come here again, I will be forced to take out a restraining order on you."

Or have my husband throw you into the pit of hell. Take your pick.

"So I would suggest that you go home and stay there. I'm not interested in your lies or your pathetic need to bring me down. I'm happy, I have married a wonderful man, and we are going to have a beautiful child in a couple of months so you can't win this battle."

She opened her mouth to protest; I could see Anton lingering and waiting. Anton looked like he was quietly salivating at the thought of opening the pit for her.

"It would be wise to leave Allison. Our life is not for you to be a part of."

Not impressed was an excellent choice of words to describe Allison's mood as she stomped her way down the few steps. I closed the door and ensured that she couldn't open it. Anton walked over with a piece of paper and pinned it to the door.

It was a picture of Allison with the words underneath, do not let this woman into the building. He had also drawn devil horns and a goatee on it. I laughed and wrapped my arms around his neck, letting him kiss me all over.

"Thank you for believing me."

"I heard the whole thing, Anton; I already knew you were well behaved."

"Ah, well then."

He lifted my legs around his waist and carried me into our apartment, closing the door behind us.

"Maybe I could interest you in some afternoon delights?"

I grinned and happily agreed.

"What were you saying before about monitoring?"

Anton set my feet to the ground, making his way through my clothes and his. I felt the sharp bite of the cold against my bare skin.

"I'd just placed a monitoring ward over the place, the second that she knocked on the door. I was thinking of it because of Michael, but I guess it worked in this instance as well."

I walked to the thermostat and turned it up, turning back to see one almost naked and handsome man pulling back the bed sheets.

"Was there an issue?"

"There was a recording device under the seat of a chair in the reception area; I feared that he might have done the same here as well."

"Had he?" I asked as I walked over.

Anton shook his head as he lifted the sheet for me to climb under them. He joined me, wrapping his arm around my waist as we laid on our sides.

"We are device free and wrapped in the safety of several wards."

As he kissed along the curve of my neck, I thought about our life.

"Anton."

He murmured against my skin, his eyes raising to mine when he realized I wasn't participating in what I should be.

"Do you think that maybe we should stay at the castle? I mean, with Allison turning up and then Michael. I just think that maybe it might be better."

"I thought that you loved this place, your restaurant, this city."

"I do, but I'm just sick of these interruptions. We were married today and just look at what has gone on."

Anton nodded ruefully. "I will admit that it is not how I foresaw our day. I wanted some big fanfare like Nicolas and Rowan, to watch you walk to me in a glittering gown. To dance under the stars, kiss you in the light of the moon and what did I give you? A hesitant priest who knew he disobeyed his orders to stop the devil from marrying his queen in an office that looked like it was about to fall apart. Interruptions and a rather sub-par day in general. There is no festivities nor a holiday in some tropical wonderland, no friends or well-wishers."

I stopped him, fearing that his mood would swing lower than it already was. It was killing the moment as it was.

"It does not matter where. We discussed this, didn't we?"

He nodded.

"And friends were there, sure it was only two of them, but that doesn't matter. When things are good again, we can do some big lavish affair, and you can splurge until your heart is content. For now, all I want is a peaceful afternoon with you, no interruptions, no nasty words from horrible people. Just you and me."