Shadow of Death: Chapter 3: Anton

Sarah was asleep, riding out the last of the pain. Then there was the little someone who was wide awake. I was yet to put him down, unable to tear away from him. Besotted was not a strong enough word, I doubted that there was one that was sufficient to describe my thoughts and feelings towards my son.

His hair was thick, fair skin and like his mother, he had blue eyes. I'd always wondered if he would have red eyes or not. Maybe it was something that would change with time; maybe they would come with the rising darkness within.

"Little raven," I whispered, kissing the chubby cheek.

His hair was black like a raven's feathers, earning him the nickname that he will no doubt be called rather than his real name, Brannon.

"You are going to be so powerful; already I can feel the drag coming to hell. Minutes old and you are more powerful than a demon; you cannot support your own head yet it has more intelligence than the smartest of humans. I am in awe of you."

And then the powerful being that was the son of Lucifer produced a spit bubble.

"Okay, so you don't care. I get it; you don't want to follow in your old man's footsteps. You'd rather be out frolicking with Cerberus, wouldn't you?"

The hound whined at me, hearing his name. His head was still on my lap, waiting for his introduction.

"Are you going to behave yourself?"

Those big brown eyes looked up at me, almost telling me that he always behaved himself.

"Alright. Cerberus this is your new playmate, in a few years' time of course. Sniff and take note of the newest person for you to protect."

Cerberus waggled his nose as he sniffed Brannon, whining again as he looked at the child.

"One day he will follow you around this place Cerberus, it will be your duty to ensure he doesn't misbehave."

The dog laid down on the floor with what sounded remarkably like a huff. Yes, I suppose it was a burdensome task to ensure that any child behaves, worse when they were in fact made for trouble.

A soft knock at the door made Cerberus perk up, gently the door pushed open.

"Forgive the intrusion my lord, but Igor wishes to know if you hunger for lunch."

"Yes, tell him something light would be ideal. And ask him to deliver it personally please."

"Yes my lord."

Once the servant had closed the door, I stood and placed Brannon into his crib and set out to wake his mother. She needed her rest, but eating and maintaining a proper diet was important as well.

"Sarah," I said softly, gently rousing her.

She rolled over with a smile, one that was happy even though she was in pain.

"Lunch is being prepared, time to wake and freshen up before Igor arrives."

With a yawn she sat up, peering into the crib.

"And how has daddy been doing?"

"Very well. He has been a good boy and behaved himself."

"Great, you're on permanent night duty."

I chuckled, helping her to her feet. She was still unsteady, taking tentative steps with the occasional whimper that she thought I couldn't hear. The door opened, and one of the nurses walked in with haste, moving to the bathroom, ready to help her.

"I am more than capable of using the restroom by myself you know."

"Yes, I am fully aware of that Sarah. However, I can hear the pain in those little whimpers. I can see your face wince as you move. She is there to help you, and you will accept it without being difficult."

"It's embarrassing." Sarah hissed under her breath.

"She's a nurse." I offered dryly. "I'm sure she's seen worse."

I passed over my lovely wife into the capable hands of the nurse, offering to find a fresh set of clothes for after Sarah's shower. It earned me a smile and a 'thank you' from one woman and a scowl and a 'I don't need another shower' from another.

When I had found a pretty and loose dress that accommodated Brannon's feeds, I returned to the bathroom. To say that I found Sarah intoxicating was still very accurate. Her pain was the only thing that subdued my need for her. Seeing her naked in the shower, her belly still full and her breasts larger than usual, it was creating a lot of poorly timed thoughts.

I set the clothes onto the vanity and exited the room before I offered to help. It wasn't as if I didn't want to; I would have given anything to be in there with her, helping her, soothing her pain. No, the reason I didn't offer was that I didn't want her to see me in such a state. I knew Sarah; she'd be on her knees trying to gratify my needs in spite of the pain that she'd be suffering.

Instead, I returned to my son who smelled like he needed attention.

"Can I be of assistance my lord?"

Another nurse was approaching as I lifted Brannon from the crib.

"I would appreciate guidance while learning for myself if you don't mind."

"Not at all." she offered with a smile, gesturing to the change table.

"First lesson is never to leave a child unattended; you never know when they will learn to roll over. Ensure that all that you need is within reach."

Which it was because Sarah had been here. It had been rearranged several times since it arrived and I am certain it will happen a few more times as well.

"Now, an important lesson with young men, keep them covered until you are ready to change the diaper. Then do it quickly."

"Uh, why?"

She smiled at me and gestured to the diaper.

"Young men come equipped with a fire hose. Unless you wish to be drowned, then I would suggest you heed my warning my lord."

"Oh."

"Now, flick the tabs back like this, hold his legs up and wipe his backside with the wipe."

I did as she said, worried that I was going to cop an eye full of urine if I wasn't fast enough. My mouth was firmly clamped shut.

"New diaper open, lift the legs again and slide it under, bring the front panel over and do the tabs up."

With an immense sense of pride, I looked upon my son with a clean backside and fresh diaper. The devil could do anything.

"And clean your hands with this magical stuff."

She squirted something clear onto my hands, and I looked at it, thinking it was not nearly sufficient.

"Redress and lots of kisses for being a great baby."

Because he really was. I was waiting for when he unleashed his tears upon us. Waiting for the days and nights of walking around this place like a pair of zombies.