Tempt the Devil: Chapter 22: Sarah

The devil does meetings. How bizarre. Or was that code for something else? Am I so distrusting that I believe it as a lie? I sighed and tucked the phone into my pocket. Distraction was the key here, sitting in my apartment gave me far too much time to think.

The bag was packed and I was ready to spend the night at Anton's apartment. We hadn't gone to his place last night. Instead, we had the meal at the restaurant and out of nowhere, he said that he had to go. Something or someone was calling for him. So we left the restaurant and he dropped me back at my apartment with the promise that he would return soon.

To my delight, he had kept that promise and was back before I fell asleep. I didn't want to sleep a night without him beside me, there was something so calming about him that pulled me into a deep and restful sleep for hours.

Before his departure into the underworld today, Anton had given a brief verbal list of all the things he thought I would need. Surprisingly he suggested really warm clothes which made me wonder what we were doing.

Anticipation burned through me as I stepped out of the apartment and walked across the street. Life was everywhere around me, I couldn't help but smile at the wondrous view of the world.

And because my mood was so good, I ignored Delano and her catty smile and continued straight to the kitchen and my second favorite man.

"Good morning Sarah, you are in a happy mood today."

"I am. You seem rather pleased at something." I said, finding an apple to pilfer.

"Is a good day to be alive. My lady friend has found a house that she likes."

Sliding up onto the bench I watched Igor moving around the kitchen as I ate my apple.

"We have a plan for the future. She is a demon too so we do not need to rush. We wait for right time to buy, she wants to live in Greenwich Village."

I grinned at him as he shrugged with a slight smile.

"And what does Igor want?"

"Igor is happy if the roof does not have a hole in it and the walls are strong."

"Lockable doors and windows, free of vermin, good neighbors, quiet neighborhood."

He nodded with a slight chuckle.

"How long have you been a demon?"

"I have lost track of time, I know it has been a few hundred years but I could not say for certain. It is a flaw or maybe a blessing in disguise but immortality comes with a melding of days. Keeps the mind sane they say but I do not believe it. I have seen insane people."

The apple was delicious, I always had a love of the freshest foods. As I tossed the apple core into the bin, I slid off the bench and washed the tackiness from my hand.

"So do you remember when you were born?"

"I remember a four but I do not know for certain. Nine and two also seem familiar to me. It is possible that it might be fourteen ninety-two. I have it written at home, I will find it and tell you."

I looked out the door to see Delano making coffees for customers, the place was starting to fill up again.

"So I guess you don't remember much about meeting Anton, do you?"

"Demon life is always remembered, just not how many days has passed. We use calendars and schedules to keep our lives on track. It is essential."

Huh, so I guess that explains the paperwork on the refrigerator.

"Were you expecting horns and a pitchfork as well?"

Igor laughed and nodded. "Whoever said this was what the devil looked like? So silly, I have never seen anyone with red skin. I see pink skin when people stay in sun too much but never red."

"He's at a meeting."

The laughter stopped as if he sensed my unease.

"Master's role is very important, he always has meetings. He has to see the people when they pass into his world. Death is always happening, never stops. Master is a busy man, has many helpers to help him so that he can be a normal person too. You no fret for him, I see the way he looks at you. When he says he has meetings, he says the truth."

Oh good. Not that I didn't trust him or anything. Or that you totally did distrust him my mind snipped at me.

The day dragged on, I kept myself occupied by helping Igor in the kitchen rather than being in the dining area. By early afternoon I had to deal with the stock delivery that was late, much to my annoyance. It was supposed to be here this morning.

When I was done I checked my phone, still nothing from Anton. I sent him a quick message telling him that I hoped his meetings were going well. It was a little frustrating not being able to contact him. Though I didn't want to become so needy or constricting. Wary of frightening him off, I put my phone back in my pocket and vowed not to send him another message until he made contact with me.

We had barely got to two weeks and already I was smitten. It was truly a maddening thought, I was dating the devil. Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, call him what you will but I called him boyfriend. With a chuckle, I walked into the store room and continued to load the stock onto the shelves.

Keeping myself useful in such boring moments was wise, I didn't want to dwell on the negatives. Like Delano. Maybe I should start looking for her replacement. After all, Anton did say that she wasn't permanent.

Maybe I could get one of the wait staff to take over her role and tell Anton that she can go back to wherever it was that he dragged her up from. But where did she come from? That was a curious question. Was she one of his staff members in his office? Did he see her every day? That was a thought that I definitely did not like.

I would have to broach this subject with him. Maybe if I spoke of her in a friendly way he might be more giving with information about her. If I acted like a spoiled and jealous brat he would probably clamp down and not offer a single thing.

With a heavy sigh, I continued my work, wishing that love didn't make me into a jealous monster. A really big, hairy, green-eyed monster that was ready to rip a demon to pieces if she looked at me or him the wrong way.