Tempt the Devil: Chapter 20: Sarah

I stood at the refrigerator with a marker in my hand, marking off every second day. Anton frowned at it but said nothing. He liked to eat out at upscale establishments and that was fine but I got sick of looking down at minuscule meals night after night.

A week has passed and we have settled into a routine rather nicely. Anton would leave for the underworld of a morning and return for lunch. In that time I would go to the restaurant and oversee everything, all the while feeling more and more uncomfortable around Delano. Secretly I was glad she wasn't staying for the long term.

After lunch, Anton would return to the underworld and be back in time for dinner. He would stay the night, sleeping beside me and always behaving himself. I was yet to see beyond the shorts, his maybe later hadn't eventuated and I was beginning to think he didn't want to. Which was an utterly ridiculous thought. Maybe he had a plastic mound like Ken. That would be just my luck.

I poked my tongue at him and his frown and turned back to the stupid schedule. Every second night we would eat at a place of his choice and then return to his apartment. It meant that I'd have to move some of the clothes to his place but he didn't seem fazed by it.

What made him frown was the fact that I'd started the dinners at home on today's date.

"I've already made reservations."

"Well, I can't change it now. You should have said something before I started."

His hand waved in the air with a smug attitude, I looked at the schedule and it had changed to suit his plans.

"There you go, all sorted."

I said nothing because I knew it was a battle that wasn't worth fighting. Personally, I didn't care where we ate tonight, I had just started on today because it seemed easier. I crossed the room and looked through the clothes, trying to figure out what I wanted to wear. They were all very nice but they weren't me. I liked jeans and a shirt. It wasn't overly feminine but it was comfortable.

"Hurry up and select what you want to bring to the apartment. Maybe you should bring all of it."

I knew what he meant by that. He'd dropped a few subtle hints over the past few days. All along the lines of me moving to his apartment. The box in the sky, something that sent a shiver down my spine. I don't know how people could stand being up that high.

"I like being across the road from the shop Anton. Maybe you should move here."

"And where would I put the piano, Sarah?"

I huffed as I wretched open the bag, narrowing my eyes at him.

"I've never heard you play that thing. Just say that this lowly apartment doesn't fit within your requirements for living the fancy life and be done with it."

Turning to the shoes, I tried to count how many days I would need. It was ridiculous, I should just pack a few things and be done with it. I could always come back if need be.

"You are rarely at my place Sarah." he said softly from behind me.

Anton's step was so quiet, he had crossed the room and I hadn't heard a thing.

"How could you know such things when you never venture there? I might be materialistic but you let fear rule your life. Admit you are scared of the place."

"Fine." I snapped, stuffing the shoes into the bag. "It scares me to be that high up. I don't like it and I don't sleep well when I'm there."

He had convinced me twice so far, both times it had taken a lot of convincing. Anton lured me into the building with chocolate and an amazing back rub. Both of which were desperately needed for this sore body.

His fingers curled around mine, the other hand removing the bag and letting it drop to the floor.

"I understand your fear and I will do all that I can to improve our situation. But I ask one favor of you. Tonight, stay for just one night."

"Okay."

My agreement to the maddening situation was met with a smile and a soft kiss on my lips.

"Thank you." he whispered the words over my lips.

His eyes remained on mine as he kissed me again. It's like we were going backward now. We'd had the almost sex in the park and now we were at the restrained kisses and holding hands. It felt like we were teenagers who were abstaining until marriage.

"I will be back at six."

With a few more kisses, he was gone. Leaving me alone in the apartment. It had always felt like a warm and inviting home, one that I liked to be in and rued the day I would have to let it go. But with him here and then not here, it felt odd. Like it was missing something now. Not because he was gone but it was something more emotional.

Loneliness gripped me, I wrapped my arms around myself and wandered to the window. My shop was closed, it was Sunday and even though it could be a great day for trading, I chose not to. Anton said that demons didn't need much sleep and they didn't have rights but I wasn't going to be that kind of boss. Until I had enough money to employ lots of people to share the seven-day workload, I would always give them a break.

The shop had continued to flourish, always full of people and always filled with the sounds of happy people. I owed so much to Anton. Surely by now I would have lost the shop or maybe my apartment. Maybe I'd be sleeping in the cold basement after giving up on my apartment. I cast the treacherous thoughts aside and finished packing the bag.

One night, I could do that.