Shadow of Death: Chapter 28: Sarah

Anton lifted the veil, smiling with the anticipation of that all-important kiss. It felt as if we had never kissed before, perfect and subdued for the crowd that was watching.

The area was done up beautifully with fairy lights hanging between the trees, paper lanterns swinging in the delicate breeze and a rose petal path between white wood chairs. Trees that had once stood tall into the sky now hung low over us, almost like weeping willows, mason jars with lights hung from the branches. It was dark enough that the lights actually lit up the area, I'd never seen it so dark here. It had a romantic feel to it; I was in awe of how much Anton had changed in his world for this night.

On the other side of the office building was dozens of long tables, draped in white table clothes, flower arrangements of the prettiest pinks I'd ever seen and tea lights dotted everywhere. Overhead was long strands of more fairy lights that swept up from the sides and crossed over to the other side. I'd stood at the window of Anton's office and watched the demons fussing over the dinnerware, making sure it was just right for their master.

It was perfect, it was gorgeous, and I loved it.

Anton kissed my hand as he looked at me, smiling as if he was the happiest man in the world. Collecting Brannon into his arms, he took my hand and walked me back up the aisle. The path had been cleared; the leaves had been pushed to the side to reveal a path. Rose petals had been scattered; now they were getting caught in the soft breeze that was pushing past us.

When we reached the reception area, Anton put Brannon into his chair and then pulled me into his arms.

"You look stunning my love. I hope that this day has burned into my memory, I do not ever wish to forget these precious times."

He kissed me softly, guests approached and began to find their seats. The sounds of chatting and laughter filled the air, adding to our happiness. I looked around the area, seeing many faces that I missed and hadn't seen in a long time.

"You know I think that we need to have gatherings like this more often. Look at our friends and family Anton, isn't it wonderful?"

Anton looked out with what had begun as a begrudging smile but turned into a soft appreciation.

"Yes, I suppose it is."

He pulled the seat out for me, waited until I sat and then leaned to me. Planting a soft kiss on my cheek brought a smile to my lips, Anton sat beside me and returned the smile.

"Life is good, isn't it?"

"It sure is."

As we waited for our dinner to arrive, Anton turned to face me, sliding his arm over the back of my chair as he moved closer.

"If there is anything that you could change or want for tonight, what would it be?"

"Anton." I chided. "This is beautiful, how could I want for anything else?"

"Alright, so life in general. Is there anything that you miss about the past? Do you want your shop back, the apartment, anything?"

I sighed and nodded reluctantly.

"Okay, Anton. There is one thing that I miss about being on Earth. It doesn't really bother me, and I know that now that things are okay with certain fluff balls and we can surface whenever we want."

"But?"

"But I do miss it incredibly."

He looked at me, waiting patiently.

"The moon and the stars. That night that we sat out in the cold and looked up at the night sky, it was so beautiful. Maybe we could do that again one day."

"We could." He said simply.

The ground rumbled as the trees overhead began to part, the dull red sliding away with the fairy lights. Everyone began to freak out; glasses rattled as everything shook with the rumbling.

"Or we could do it tonight."

I looked up as the underworld split open above us, revealing the brilliant night sky. It was dark, a deep blue that was nothing like I had ever seen. Stars twinkled bright, littering the sky in their thousands. It was the kind of sky that could be seen in the country, away from the city lights and pollution.

One luminous ball hung to the side of the amazing view, glowing bright and shining down upon us. I could never tire of such beauty.

The rumbling stopped, and everything was as it should be, aside from the brilliance above us.

I was overwhelmed by it all; I never expected that he would tear apart his world just to give me the moon and the stars.

Anton took my hand and kissed my palm; I looked at him with tears welling in my eyes.

"Make a wish my love."

With amusement his eyes darted upwards, I glanced up to see a long white line dart across the sky.

I closed my eyes, feeling the tears drop onto my cheeks and wished that I could be this happy forever.

"I will give you whatever your heart desires Sarah." He whispered in my ear.

His thumbs gently wiped away the tears, his hand smoothing over my cheek and settling below the jaw.

"Tell me what else you want, fear nothing, I will not refuse you."

"I want you, Anton."

"Well then, lucky you I am able to provide that easily."

I chuckled and leaned over to kiss him.

"And I will happily take what you provide."

Anton kissed me again, soft and sweet.

"How is it that the devil is so caring and generous?"

"I told you." He said cheekily. "You've been told so many lies about me. Now is the time to learn my true nature. The devil is a man that adores his wife and son, cannot wait for the rest of them to turn up. He holds much affection his demons and finds the suffering of the damned most pleasing. His world was always his to command as his own, but now he happily rules with his gorgeous queen. He is a man that thought he was happy until he took a walk through a bustling city and realized that he was living a lie."

Anton's gaze lingered over me, soaking in the view of one rather emotional woman. He offered a smile, one that made me happy even if I did have a few tears rolling down my cheeks.

"You give so much without a thought for yourself."

"I give to you Sarah because my love for you is never-ending. You asked to see the stars again, and I knew that tonight would be perfect. I said that I wanted to dance with you under the stars. I want to kiss you under the stars. I want to love you under the stars."