Playing with Fire: Chapter 18: Sarah

My feet were sore from so much dancing but I continued regardless. This was incredible, to be held so tight under the dimmed lights and swaying to the romantic music, I don't think I could want for anything more. It was a far cry from the hour prior where Anton and I had been rather naughty in the restroom. That aside, it was a romantic night. Love was in the air, not just because it was a wedding but because of the other people in the room.

I don't know if they were always like this if it was because weddings brought out the love in people or if it was because of Anton's little wave of euphoria but everyone seemed rather lovey to each other. Not in a physical sense but in an emotional way.

There was something amazing about the slow and gentle dance with a lover, the emotion that it creates and the bond that begins to surge between them. I was soaking in as much as I could because I feared the future. As much as I had faith in Anton getting what he wanted, I feared to lose him. The worst he'd heard of was a year. That would be too much for me, I'd known him for such a short time but it was enough to create something so wonderful that a year apart would break me. I know it would. Thinking about a departure for a year, I was grateful for five months. Of course, no departure would be much better and the council keeping out of our lives would be great.

I clutched to him and prayed that I did not succumb to my emotions, hoping that I could find the beauty of the night and hold onto it. But that horrid thought that niggled inside would not let go, whispering nasty thoughts.

Anton held me tight like he could feel my anxiety at the situation like he held his own anxiety about it as well. Of course he would, it was foolish of me to think any different. He would fear that he would fail and our time apart would be his fault. So long as he tried, I would be happy. Not a real happy but the brave face happy that would do until I was behind a closed door where I could cry until I was unable to cry anymore.

At the end of the song Anton looked to our table, Augustus had returned to it and was looking in our direction. That meant that he was ready to talk to Anton about the pressing issue that he wanted to know about.

After returning to the table, the two of them had slipped away to the far corner of the room and by the looks on their faces, things weren't good. William had joined them soon after and I was left sitting at the table with Eliria and the woman that Augustus brought with him. Thankfully Elias had got the hint and left. Where he was I do not know nor care. He wasn't here and that's all I cared about.

Yana was the Solanite woman, she didn't seem impressed at the thought of sitting at a table with the devil himself. I can't say as I blame her, if I didn't know the real Anton then I'd be freaked out too. It also didn't help that the poor woman couldn't speak any of the languages spoken on Earth.

"Oola," Yana said with a smile at Ella.

Ella grinned, going all shy and cuddling into her mother. Yana smiled as she sat back in her chair. She was trying I guess. It must be so difficult for her. I wonder why they didn't get a translator for her or a book at least.

"Isn't there anyone that speaks the language?"

"Castian's teacher speaks the language and has been trying to teach Yana and Augustus to communicate."

"Oog."

"Yes," Eliria said as she nodded at Yana. "I know, I said his name."

She sighed and leaned back in her chair, trying to settle Ella who was beginning to fuss.

"Merryl had to be elsewhere today but she is slowly getting there. Mister stubborn thinks that he doesn't need to learn the language because she'll be going home soon but I don't know."

Eliria trailed off with a slight grin on her face.

"The Solanite leader shut off all access to the dimension, refusing to let anyone in or out. Recently it has been opened and there have been a few issues. Yana escaping is just one of them. She's invoked sanctuary."

"Ssanktuairee." Yana frowned as she struggled with the word.

"Yes Yana, sanctuary. We know."

Eliria turned back to me with the sympathetic smile still showing.

"Whatever is going on in her world is so bad she doesn't want to go back which is pretty bad in itself. She's the sun god for the dimension."

"Are they without the sun?"

"No, just missing a god. She can stay here as long as she wants, provided mister stuffed shirt allows it."

I looked at Augustus who was looking in our direction. Maybe not our direction, maybe in Yana's direction.

"I think he's all talk."

Turning back to Eliria, she looked at me rather confused.

"I think he can't keep his eyes off her. Do you see a lot of him?"

"It depends. Before we left for Faelen we did, now it is a little harder for everyone to travel."

"Well, I'd give him gentle nudges to her direction because it seems pretty obvious that he's attracted to her."

She looked between the two of them and smiled. It was true that he couldn't keep his gaze from her for too long. Fleeting glances but ones that happened regularly. As for Yana, she'd dart her eyes around the room watching everyone but always returning to Augustus.

I gasped when a warm hand pressed heavily onto my shoulder, darting my eyes up I saw Anton standing beside me.

"The lovely bride and groom are departing now my love, I think it is time for our departure as well."

Oh good, I was glad. Not because I was bored or I found Eliria and Yana to be dull company but because I was tired.

Once Nick and Rowan had left, everyone started to file out of the room. Castian was staying with William and Eliria tonight rather than being in his parents quarters. Marty and Antonio were lingering to the bar at the side of the room, watching as we moved closer to the doors. Antonio stood behind Marty, his arms wrapped around her waist with his hands settled onto her stomach as he whispered in her ear. The grin on her face was like nothing I've seen since knowing her, whatever he was saying it had to be good.

As fun as it might be, I think another night out in the oak room was out of the question. I was tired and we had to fly back tomorrow. It was early to bed for us. Okay so, fun time and then bed time.