Chapter 35

"Did we do something bad?" asked Fire as Terzo just sat down. "No...it's all find. I just wanted to tell you something, and I didn't want to do it half-heartedly, because it's a bit more serious than that." Terzo's laughter faded as his face became serious. He looked a bit like he was searching for the right words to tell you something not so well. Fire also realized that Terzo didn't want to tell us anything nice, so he grabbed your hand and held it tightly in his.

"Ok... where do I start... so the topic kind of involves both of you. It's about your powers. Aice in you there is ice as an element and in you Fire it is fire. Your elements are the complete opposite and by both of you being Chosen now, you increase deeper into your element. Ok... I'm saying it directly. It's probably impossible for you to have a child. That's the only thing you'll probably never experience in your future."

When you heard the words, it was like a punch in the gut for you. Your heart clenched as you felt like you couldn't breathe.

"However, you can have sex as much as you want, of course. You don't have to give that up." Terzo looked like he was trying to cheer you up somehow with that, but you couldn't care less right now.

Guilt overcame you, which is why you just wanted to do one thing.

Run. Far away.

You didn't want to look Fire in the eye when the realisation that your wish will never become reality is in his eyes. It was all your fault. You should never have bitten him.

He will hate you.

Terzo had nothing more to say to you, so you left. Silently you went back to the others. Fire seemed like he wanted to tell you something, but you just took another stack of books and were about to take them away kind of leaving the situation.

Your smile faded from your lips as your heart ached with guilt.

All the time, you had one statement in front of your eyes. "It's your fault.". It was everywhere. Your inner voice kept repeating it and screaming it into your head. You felt like someone was running after you all the time, whispering it in your ear. When you looked at your arms, you felt like it was tattooed on your skin.

Fire at some point had the task of putting away the new books while you were still in the process of throwing away the old ones. Just then you threw away some more books as you looked around. No one was there. You quickly took the chance and ran into the woods to go to your spot without anyone noticing. Everyone is just distracted enough to even think about you or look for you.

Already when you left the church behind you, the first tears rolled out of your eyes and you began to cry loudly. Arrived at your place you hid behind a stone and curled up there.

Your thoughts were loud. You tried to cover your ears, but your voice echoed back in your head, making them even louder. You banged against your head, but nothing helped. Crying, you just sat there and let the guilt run you over.

At some point it started raining hard as your clothes quickly got soaked and clung to your clothes as your hair was also totally slick against you. Your tears mixed with the raindrops running down your cheek.

Minutes passed... or maybe hours..  you didn't really know how long you had been gone, but you intended to stay gone for a long time.

*Fire's pov*
You were at a loss for words when Terzo told you that you couldn't have children. You had Air from yesterday right in front of your eyes how happy she was when you told her to make you a father. Every now and then she used to tell you how much she wanted to have children with you. But that dream was now out of reach. Forever.

It wasn't bad for you at first, but at some point when you thought about it more and more, you really realized it. You will only experience your future as a couple. You have each other, but it felt wrong somehow. Briefly you questioned your life, what sense it had. Everything felt strange to you. You didn't feel that anything made sense to you.

Air and you went back to the others to help in the library. You wanted to say something to Air, but somehow you didn't have the right words in your head. It hurt that your heart couldn't handle it and even Air was a stranger to you. Your head loved her, but somehow your heart didn't allow you to.

Silently you started to sort books. From time to time you saw Air fetching old books and taking them away, but at some point she was no longer there or you just didn't pay any attention to her.

You spent the whole afternoon putting away new books when it started to rain outside.

While ordering some book you started to sort your thoughts and forgot the stupid thoughts from before. You responded to Terzo's statement with your true perspective. The perspective where Air is the most important, significant, great, romantic and perfect woman.

Why do you need a child? Why do you need a child at all? Is it further proof that you love each other? Does it confirm the love? Do you love Air less now just because you can't confirm your love to others? No. Not at all. It is the same woman you love yesterday, today and tomorrow.

You climbed down the ladder just as you were shelving two more books when you went in search of Air. You really needed to talk to her.

"Do you know where Air is?" you asked the others who were still in the library, since she was supposed to be here. "Oh right... uhm... Air isn't here anymore... I don't know where she could be." Mountain just shrugged as you ran out of the library with quick steps.

You tried to use a trick Air, taught you the other day, for the first time. She taught you how to manage to sense whether certain people are within a certain radius or not.

Using the trick was a strange feeling at first, but you were happy when it worked. Unfortunately, you did not feel Air. You didn't have to think long about where else she could be when you were already running outside.