Chapter 50

You briefly wondered if this is how girls feel when they write to boys and then, after ages, get a reply to the risky text they wrote.

So you lay tense under the comforter for a little while. The constant low vibrations were at some point like tinnitus in your ears. You had the feeling that it wouldn't stop and the more there were, the louder they got.

You closed your eyes in fear as you suddenly felt asleep. Maybe the sudden stress just knocked you out.

A gentle tap on the shoulder woke you up. You had to blink a little when the sun shone directly into your face and you ended up putting your hand in front of it. With the shadows over your eyes, you could then start to get used to the glare. "Why do you have the curtains open?" was the first thing you asked in your still sleepy voice.

"I'm fine again. As if I had nothing." When you heard these words roll over her lips, joy shot to your fingertips. Your tiredness disappeared in seconds and you sat up in bed as you looked at her with a surprised face. "Seriously!?" you shouted a little louder with excitement, which you didn't mean at all. She just nodded as her cheeks turned red when you jumped into her arms.

"I'm so happy for you!" you said as the brief wave of joy subsided. "I wanted to ask you if we wanted to go into town together. Maybe go shopping or something." Air said with a small smile on her face. "I won't be told twice. We have to take this chance, I'll get dressed right away!"

With a flourish, you threw off your comforter and jumped out of bed. When you arrived at your dresser, you already had your shirt in your hand and were thinking about what you could wear. You had just pulled your fresh black shirt over your head and turned to Air as she was still sitting exactly where she was smiling.

"What? Get ready!" you laugh as you grabbed your old shirt and tossed it to her. "That you'd volunteer to go shopping with me for once..." she laughed as well, getting up from the bed and coming closer to you before standing in front of you.

You looked deep into her eyes and put your hands on her upper arms. "I'm just happy that you're finally feeling better after what happened. And now you even want to do something with me." Your eye contact was so intense. She gave you a gentle kiss before she started to get dressed too.

The two of you were quickly dressed and ready to go into town. "Fire, do you know where my cell phone is? I can't find it." Your heart stopped for a moment. Damn. The cell phone. Shit.

"Nah... maybe you left it somewhere in the church. Sometimes you're so forgetful." You tried to distract from the topic hopping she's just gonna accept it.

Then there was a brief silence.

"I eh... can help you looking for it later. Shall we go?" hoping that she wouldn't think about it any more or question you, you tried to get her out of the church quickly. And you succeeded. She shrugged her shoulders briefly before you made your way out.

The news won't have spread in such a short time, will it? It'll be a normal day and you'll be able to store in peace. Right? Right?! RIGHTA!?

When you arrived in hell, everything was still peaceful. You were just tense the whole time because you didn't know how long it would stay that peaceful. Air knew nothing. Nothing yet.

"Are you all right?" "eh what?" "I asked if everything was all right with you. You're so tense. Don't you fancy going shopping with me after all?" she pecked you in the side for a moment as she smiled. Sometimes you thought it was terrible that she was a chosen one, because you just couldn't hide anything from her. "It's all good. I'm glad."

You took her hand in yours and pulled her into the first store with you. And this store had it in it. Her shopping heart soared and her eyes sparkled with joy. Your arms got heavier and heavier with all the clothes she picked as you just ran after her.

At some point she also had things for Cirrus and Mountain's baby in her hand and was surprised at how small ghouls can be. "Look, this might fit you too... maybe a little short in the arms." With a serious look, she held a baby-onesie against your chest as you gave her a "seriously?" look that made her start laughing and at the end you too.

You left the first store with two large bags. It has to be said that one bag contained a few things for you and lots of baby things. Air only has one bag.

She was thinking about what she wanted to do next while you were standing a little behind her. A tap on your shoulder snapped you out of your thoughts. Without thinking, you turned around and looked into youthful faces. "Ehm... hey?" you said, overwhelmed, as the two girls looked at you with a grin. For a moment, you were afraid they would burst with so much joy. "Are you the chosen one Fire? Aice's man?" one of them said quickly as her eyes wandered to your neck, where her bite mark was visible.

"Yes... that's me." you smiled uncomfortably as Air turned around. "I-It's really you...Aice.. you both are so cool! Can we take a picture together?" Air seemed friendly the whole time the two fans were talking to us. But when they were gone, she gave me a dead look. "What did I miss?" she simply said as her hands were on her hips and she stands in front of you again.

"Nothing..." and your voice started to shake...

"Fire..." her voice lowered. "When you were attacked, it just came out that I'm your husband..." you said chilly while you took a step back for safety. "Then why do they know you're a Chosen One? What did you have to tell me Fire?"

At that moment, you heard many voices shouting Air's and your name as a wall of people came towards you. For a moment you thought it would be a relief that you didn't have to answer Air, but what came next was even worse.

You are as good as dead.