Chapter 46

Back in Fire's room, you could still hear the splashing of water, so Fire was still showering. But that's what you assumed, because you weren't gone for long and it's very typical for Fire to take long showers when it's winter again. Aether was still sitting in the same place as you left the room. You silently sat down next to him again as you looked to him. He sat there and looked at you expectantly, as he was just as worried about Aice as you were and wanted to know Terzo's answer.

You didn't wait long and started talking straight away. You scooted a little closer to him so you wouldn't talk so loudly that Fire wouldn't overhear if he came out of the bathroom. Just as you were happy that Aice was feeling better again, Aether was happy too.

He then asked you if you'd seen her briefly, but you just shook your head. Aether immediately realized that something had happened and asked if you wanted to tell him. You immediately felt understood by him when you started to tell him about the point that you didn't really want to tell. To show you that Aether was there for you, he put an arm around your upper back.

Aether himself was very speechless about the situation. Just like you, you thought that things would get better quickly, especially because Aice was a strong woman.

You had quickly told everything that needed to be told when the silence spread between you again. You couldn't find the right words to keep the conversation going. But keeping this conversation going just didn't make sense. Making light of the situation didn't make it any better either. The situation is just the way it is now and you were grateful that Aice will make it, even if the road is long. There's nothing more to say about it. And talking about something else now, which simply isn't important to you right now, would only add salt to the wound.

You just waited for Fire in silence while you had to deal with the situation. See it as okay. See it as moving on. Still with Aether's arm around your back, the process went very quickly and you had a small smile on your lips again. You now had enough energy to be there for Fire and for him, where a few minutes ago you were helplessly overwhelmed. You also felt Aether feeling better, just thinking about everything and finding the right way through all the shock and not being alone.

So the time, which didn't want to pass at first, passed quite quickly.

A door suddenly opened and Fire slowly came out of the door. You were a little shocked at how tired he looked now, as if he hadn't slept for a week. You realized that once he was with Aice, at least briefly, he would immediately relax and sleep. "Have you heard anything new from Air?" he asked cautiously as he stood in front of you. "Yes... I was with Terzo briefly. She's going to make it. She's in the infirmary at the moment and is still very weak, but Terzo said we could see her in a moment. How are you?" So as not to give him the chance to ask further questions, you tried to quickly divert the subject. "I'm better thanks, the shower was really good. Thank you. I'm just tired right now and I really want to be with my wife," he said as he yawned.

"Shall we go down together?" you asked him, to which he nodded slowly and weakly. Together you walked through the church to the infirmary. You had to admit that you were really nervous to see Aice now.

In the corridor where the few rooms were, you saw Terzo. He was sitting on a chair, exhausted and trying to take a break. Early on, he noticed you and got up as soon as he saw you. He took a few steps towards you as he went straight to Fire and hugged him. You were surprised that Fire accepted this sudden hug. Usually he always takes a step back. Now he even took a step towards it.

You just stood there and watched. But the hug didn't last long, because Terzo took a step back and put his hands on Fire's cheeks. You could faintly see tears on Fire's cheek as Terzo wiped them away, just like he did with you earlier.

Everyone was trying to accept the situation and not drown in grief. Everyone didn't feel like putting up with someone who was sinking because of the situation. Even if you were close to the edge.

Terzo told Fire and Aether the same instructions he told you earlier when you went to see them. The same feeling you had earlier came back to you. But you had to face it now, otherwise you'll never make it and you'll regret it.

Fire then walked ahead as you all entered the room. Your fear disappeared when you saw Aice with a tired smile.

*Fire's pov*
Your heart beat fast and ached as you just found out what had happened to Air. If you wouldn't have pulled out that knife, Air could be dead.

You were the first to enter her room and when you saw her face, there were already thousands of tears in your eyes. It was a mixture of sadness and joy. Because you could feel how weak and tired she was and how much she wanted to sleep. But the tears of sadness were also there because it was the worst pain for you that she had to experience such pain and it felt like it was all your fault. But the tears of joy overwhelmed the sadness because you were just happy that not even a damn dangerous poison could separate you.

You immediately excluded the others indirectly when you only had eyes for Air. Without even saying anything or breaking eye contact between you, you sat down on a chair next to her. Slowly, she slid her arm up the bed as she held out her hand to you. Immediately, but carefully, you placed your hand in hers as your skin tingled and tingled.