Chapter 45

You didn't know why, but you sat nervously on Fire's sofa the whole time. You could hear the rippling of the water and how it was turned off every now and then.

You realized that when Fire got out of the shower, it had to go on, but you didn't know how. You didn't know how to stall Fire while you wanted to go to Aice too and just wanted to know how she was doing. Your heart began to beat faster with every second that passed. Because every time it was a second closer that Fire would be coming out the door soon, but you still didn't have a solution.

"Should I just knock on the door of Terzo's office?" As you were thinking about it, you completely forgot about Aether, who was sitting next to you. You briefly felt as if Aether had read your mind, because that's exactly what you wanted to ask him.

You turned your gaze to him as he looked helplessly at you. "Is it okay if you leave? Or did you really want to?" Aether thought about it for a moment, but then signaled for you to leave.

It was quiet in the corridors of the church. Usually you could always hear someone. Whether it was someone practising their instrument, arguing with someone or someone laughing. Now there was no one there. Or maybe there was and you just didn't notice.

You put one foot in front of the other with difficulty as you turned into the hallway of Terzo's office. Your chest was tight as your hands began to sweat. You didn't know what had happened behind those walls, but you knew it wasn't pretty. Fear was already clinging at the door, preventing you from knocking.

But you simply closed your eyes and let the air move deeply through your lungs before you raised your hand and knocked on the wood. At first you couldn't hear anything, but then you heard footsteps and eventually felt them through your shoes.

You opened your eyes again when the door opened. A little later, you looked at Terzo's face. From his body language and facial expression, you couldn't tell what the situation was like, but right now you were just hoping for the best.

The two of you stood facing each other in silence for a moment, neither of you really knowing what to say or how to react. Should you ask Aice first, or would it be better if Terzo started the conversation?

"Did you get Fire out of his mind?" Terzo interrupted the silence, which you were very happy about. "Yes. Yes, we did it, he's in the shower right now. He looks totally exhausted and really needs to sleep, but especially Aice, because he remembered. I promised him I'd give him an answer after the shower about how Aice is doing." You let the words roll heavily over your tongue. Terzo was able to put one thing to another and explained himself one of the reasons why you are standing in front of him now.

Terzo turned and briefly looked back into his office as he took a step closer to you and closed the door behind him. Since Terzo was standing unusually close and there was space behind you anyway, you took a step back to put a normal distance between you again.

You looked up at Terzo, who had lowered his head and was looking at the floor. He was thinking about something strong. Well, he's probably thinking about finding the right words to tell you about the situation. Since you were grateful that he was telling you something anyway and you didn't have to worry about it anymore, you waited until Terzo started talking. You weren't even in a mood to give him any kind of stress for the answer anyway.

You were silent for a moment as your gaze was fixed for a moment when you saw Terzo raise his head in the corner of your eye. Your gaze went straight to him. "Aice was poisoned with Anktio herbs, right in the stomach. I didn't think she'd make it, but she was stronger. She's still very weak right now. We'll take her straight to the infirmary so that someone can check on her. I've never experienced anything like this before and I think we all need a break after this. I'm not quite sure yet whether she'll go into a coma or not." When Terzo told you that Aice was going to make it and it was only a matter of time before she was fully recovered, you couldn't help but cry. Aice was just such a good friend to you that it would have broken your heart to lose her now. You still had so much planned with Cirrus that you really wanted to experience and promised.

"Can I see Aice for a moment?" you asked cautiously. Terzo was silent again for a moment before he looked at you again and wanted to give you an answer. "Yes, but under conditions. No quick movements, no loud screaming, no taking her by surprise. She's powerless right now and still very confused. Try to close the door again quickly. After a poisoning like that, it's always good for ghouls to be in the dark." You nodded to the instructions as your stomach rumbled a little. Your brief moment of happiness was over. You hadn't imagined it would be this bad. Then, as you imagined how powerless up Aice must be, tears came to your eyes again and you were afraid to enter the room.

A little panicked, you looked at Terzo when you could only shake your head quickly. You no longer wanted to enter this room. Terzo also noticed your change as he carefully put his hand on your upper arm and said reassuring words to you, which you soaked up like a sponge. "Sunshine, be there for Fire now. Tell him the positive things I told you and be there for him. We'll take Aice to the sisterns now, where she'll be better looked after than here. And let's make a deal. If you want, you can come down in an hour and visit Aice. Okay?"

You briefly hugged Terzo's chest and hugged him tightly before looking at him again and nodding. He carefully wiped your tears from his face as he too became glassy-eyed, before you made your way back to Fire's room.