Chapter One

Sophia's point of view

I brushed out my thick, wavy hair and groaned in frustration as my brush got caught several times. When I finally got it tamed, I picked up my already heated straightener that my mum had bought me before I left. I began to straight the dark brown locks like I always do and I hummed as I did.

Today we were having some people come by to look for a kid to adopt. They weren't coming for another two hours, however, straightening this rats nest takes an hour so really, I barely had enough time. I couldn't just leave my hair all frizzy and afro like while they were here.

I hissed as I burned my ear and then moved the hot straightener. I danced along to the song 'Don't Let Go' and it was Little Mix's cover. They were my girls and I literally loved them so much. They were my idols and the reason I was so confident in myself.

They're my lifesavers.

Once I finished straightening my hair, I unplugged it and then went to my side of the closet. I grabbed my ripped light-washed jean shorts, a black tank-top, my red varsity jacket, and then my beaten down red converse high-tops.

I back into my bathroom and then changed into the clean outfit. I put on some chapstick and then grabbed my dirty clothes. I threw them in the dirty clothes hamper and then grabbed my red snapback. I put it on and after I put my ipod in my back pocket, I went downstairs.

"Sophia, darling, want to shoot a few baskets?" A guy I barely knew asked. I shrugged and then walked over, stealing the ball from him and then running outside. "The big hoops." He said as if he knew I couldn't make a basket and I nodded.

I bounced the ball on the blacktop a bit before shooting it, making a basket. "Don't call me darling." I told the boy who looked at me shocked. He nodded and I laughed, taking the ball again and tossing it to him.

"B-But you're a girl?"

"B-But girls can be good at basketball too." I said, mocking his shocked tone a bit. "It's not much of a surprise. I mean, basketball is my favorite sport." I told him with a shrug and he nodded.

Soon, the headmistress ws calling for all of us and I dropped the ball. I ran inside and then saw four guys standing in the room. Oh... yeah um, four guys looking to adopt one child? Count me out.

I sneaked my way out of the room and then grabbed the basketball again. I backed away from the hoop and then shot, hitting the backboard and making it spin like a water in a flushed toilet. I looked at it hopeful and then it went through, making me cheer quietly.

I grabbed the ball and then spun it on my finger as I walked back some more so I could shoot from further away. "Hey." Someone said and I dropped the ball.

"Fuck." I swore and then looked up. "Hey." I said and looked at the man with dark brown and blonde hair. He wore a black 'Aerosmith' t-shirt, a pair of really tight black jeans, and a pair of black boots.

"What's your name?" He asked me as I grabbed the basketball that has rolled away from me. "I'm Calum." He said and I looked and him.

"I'm Sophia." I said and spun the ball on my finger again. "You're one of the guys who came to adopt, aren't you? Weren't there like four of them?" I asked and he nodded.

"That was me and my friends but only one is looking to adopt." He told me and I nodded. "Come meet him." He said and I sighed. I followed him as I stopped spinning the ball on my finger, and then went back inside of the building.

"Sophia! How dare you disobey me? You were supposed to be in here, not out playing basketball." The headmistress said to me and Calum chuckled, telling her it's okay. She ran a hand through her hair and then nodded.