chapter 36

Karla didn't remember anything.

Not even the phone call with Billie, or the flashing lights and loud sirens. She couldn't remember her mother holding her hand and running down the corridor as she was rushed into another surgery - begging her to make it. She didn't remember having a seizure in the ambulance, or even waking up afterwards. She didn't remember telling her mom she didn't want to die. Karla didn't remember anything about that night.

The teen just knew she was in so much pain when she woke up. Her eyes felt heavy and her torso ached like she had never felt before.

"Karla?" She heard her mom whisper.

Karla groaned and closed her eyes again as she heard an unrecognisable voice tell her mom the next 48 hours would be critical to seeing how she responds.

She tried staying awake, but she just couldn't and let herself fall back into sleep.

Kris watched her youngest with tears in her eyes. She was connected to all sorts of machines and she never cared so much about hearing a constant beep before. Kris thought she had gone through the worst fears with Karla but this was truly the most unimaginable fear she had ever felt.

It had been four days since the accident and Kris had watched Karla fight for her life - she would never be able to thank the doctors and surgeons enough for keeping her alive.

Kris got a call from the police to say that Karla had been in an accident. That someone had shot her. That she was found almost too late for saving. She had lost a lot of blood and was in surgery. They managed to keep her heart beating but it wasn't looking good a lot of the time.

The family had been worried sick about her, and took it in turns to visit. Some of her sisters found it too hard, and could never stay for long.

***

When Karla woke up five hours later she could open her eyes and look around properly to realise she was in a hospital room. She saw her mom and Khloe looking at her intently with tears in their eyes.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Karla asked though her voice was incredibly raspy, "What's happened?"

"My darling..." Kris cried out, squeezing her daughters hand ever so slightly.

"We've been so worried." Khloe cried, "I was scared I'd never hear your voice."

A doctor stepped forward and spoke, "Karla you were in an accident - we have performed a lot of surgeries on you over the past few days."

Karla nodded slightly, her brain too foggy to process that properly.

"Can you understand what I'm saying?" The doctor asked.

Karla nodded once more, "I'm hurting."

"We're giving you morphine to balance the pain, you've taken quite the hit." She said, "My name is Malarie - can you repeat that for me?"

"Malarie." Karla said simply.

The doctor smiled, "Okay that's good, I'm going to need to perform a few initial tests, okay?" She said, picking up a few items, "I will be quick as I'm sure you just want to rest."

The doctor asked Karla various questions and looked in her eyes and confirmed everything seemed to be okay and that she would be back to sort Karla out with more medication for her pain.

Once the doctor left Karla took it is an opportunity to look down at her body - her leg was wrapped in a bandage and she could see another one poking out through her t-shirt.

"Did anyone else get hurt?" Karla asked, "In the accident? Was it my fault?"

"No, no." Kris said, "No one got hurt and nothing was your fault."