Chapter 16

Karla sat on the couch in the corner of the hospital cafe with Toby. There were two nurses sat on the table next to them, making sure that the two if them wouldn't get any ideas and try to leave. So far they had only been here for ten minutes and her and Toby had only engaged in small talk, her being a bit too cautious still after his constant tormenting recently.

"Does the staring bother you?" Toby suddenly asked, looking at the various eyes that were on them.

Looking up from her coffee, Karla's eyes quickly scanned the room, "Yes."

Toby sighed, "I can imagine."

"Someone's probably already got a photo of me." She chuckled bitterly, "It'll be in some tabloid tomorrow, I bet you."

"Fuck them." Toby said, "How sick of them to do so."

Karla nodded, "I'm used to it by now. I wouldn't be able to tell you every time one of my classmates sold a picture of me to tmz or something."

Toby frowned, "How is that even legal? Taking pictures without one's consent surely isn't okay by law..."

"It's not legal, no." Karla told him, "But no one would ever get into trouble for it. I'm not allowed to be upset about it, apparently."

"You should be." Toby muttered, "What about your family? Does it annoy them as well?"

Karla shrugged, "Some of them find it annoying. A lot of them love it though and they get mad at me when I complain - they think I'm ungrateful just because I don't want the fame."

"Sound like assholes to me." Toby told her with a chuckle, causing Karla to do the same.

Karla took a sip of her drink and looked down at the floor, "So. . .what are your family like?"

"Dead." Toby said emotionless, causing Karla's eyes to snap up to meet his, "Yeah, they were killed in a car accident. Uh, I never really got along with them before that though. They were very conservative and devoted their life to the church, so you can imagine their disgust when I told them I was gay."

"Oh my god, I am so sorry." Karla sighed, reaching across to squeeze his hand as a form of comfort, "Who did you stay with before here?"

Toby shrugged, "A friends family took me in and allowed me to stay with them. I fell into depression and took drugs to ease the pain." He laughed bitterly, "They got tired of me staggering in drunk or high in the middle of the night and so they told me I had to find somewhere else to stay. I slept rough for a few weeks, but the school found out and took me into social services. I was being fostered by a caring, loving couple, they found out about my problems and sent me here - they visit occasionally."

"My issues are so insignificant to yours, now I understand why you thought so badly of me." Karla said to him, "I hope you find your sanity soon. You seem like you're doing well though?"

Toby nodded, "If I keep up the good work then I should be discharged in a couple of weeks."

Karla's eyes widened, "That soon, huh?"

"Yup, though I'll be coming back for group therapy and stuff, so we can still see each other." Toby smiled.

The nurse accompanying their visit came over to them and said, "Your time is up now. There's a cart outside to take us back to the ward."

The two of them nodded and made their exit of the cafe, both feeling like they knew and understood the other one much better than before. Karla was just upset that he would be leaving in the near future, especially after spending this time with him and realising how special he is.

*^*^*

A couple of days later, Karla was sat on her bed in her room reading. She had nearly been here a month now and was beginning to miss home. Although her mind was just as bad as it was since she got here, she just wanted to be home so she was going to be doing everything she could to get out of here.

Her dad, Kylie and Kendall were visiting soon and they were going to be going on a walk around the lot. Surprisingly, she was looking forward to the visit, her dad never really created any drama when she was with her, meaning that Karla wasn't scared of her causing a breakdown, not like Kim.

There was a sudden knock at the door, "Hey, Kar." Toby said.

Karla put her book mark in and perked up, "Hey, what's up?"

"I was told to give you some exciting information..." He trailed off, "You ready to hear?"

"Sure, go for it." Karla chuckled in confusion.

Toby grinned, "I get early release. I'm getting out of here tomorrow!"

Karla felt her face drop and felt disappointment floof through her at an unreasonable pace. Classic, she thought, just as she got close to someone, they were ripped away from her. Toby began to frown at Karla's lack of communication and Karla immediately perked up to please him.

"Oh my god!" Karla squealed, "Are you serious?"

Toby nodded, "As serious as can be."

"That's so amazing, you must be so happy." Karla replied, "I think that-"

"Karla you have visitors." The nurse interrupted.

Karla nodded and turned back to Toby, "Well, I gotta go, but we can celebrate later, yeah?"

Toby nodded and waited for Karla and the nurse to leave before getting his phone out of his pocket and closed the door quickly. He bought up the email he had received earlier this week.

"Toby Andrews,

We have recently become aware over your close contact with Karla Jenner whilst you are both at hospital. We can offer you $500,000 to take pictures/videos of her room or her time there and any information on her behaviour.

We hope to hear from you soon.

- Fred Rutherfield
(CEO of TMZ)"

He opened the camera app and smirked to himself, telling her all that bullshit about his life was totally worth it. Karla was completely unaware of what he had been doing and all the pictures and information he had been planning to sell about her.

He was gonna be in for a lot of money when he got out. It was all worth it.

A/N
any ideas, let me know