CHAPTER 40

NORA'S POV

The car is blasting with Taylor Swift's music right now.

But right now, I am feeling Adele.

I fiddle with my hair tie on my wrist. I can't stop thinking about it. I was distracted when I was training in the gym but now with no distractions my mind keeps lingering there. I hate that I can't forget that shit.

Kai intertwines his fingers with mine. He plants a kiss on my knuckles.

"What are you thinking?"

I turn towards him. He frowns with concern.

"I am just so tired." He strokes my cheek gently.

"Why don't you get some sleep?"

"I can't." These nightmares won't let me sleep.

Kai's phone rings. He frowns when he checks. I wonder who is making him frown like that.

"It's your dad."

My eyes widen. I panic internally.

"Put it on speaker." I mumble.

He puts it on speaker.

"Papa! What's wrong?" My voice is weak.

"Mija, why can't I reach you?" His voice laced with concern.

Shit!

"My phone is dead. What happened? Are you alright?" I hope everything is okay.

Please.

"Mija, you must know the news right now."

I blink. I am in no condition to hear about that man. I am going to burst out in anger and frustration.

"Yeah." My voice is low and I don't even think Papa heard.

"I arranged for his bail."

I freeze. I can't believe his words and I fumble.

"What do you mean?" My voice comes out chokes. Kai intertwines our fingers.

"His wife is battling last stage cancer. She is gonna succumb to it soon. She wants to be with her husband for the last time."

I wanted to scream that I wouldn't care. I don't care if she wants her husband or she is dying soon. I don't fucking care.

I DON'T FUCKING CARE.

"We are humans at the end of the day. He hurt us a lot but it wouldn't hurt us to be a little compassionate towards him and his family. They must have suffered as much as us."

I don't want to be compassionate towards them or anyone who is related to him.

"I am sorry I didn't consult with you first. Amara, Mija, Are you understanding me?"

I want to lash out at him, the world and everyone but I don't. My eyes are glued outside the window trying to calm myself down. Tears threaten to burst out but I hold back.

Kai doesn't let go of my hand.

"Mija, are you listening?" His voice is more frantic.

I take a deep breath.

"I will call you later. I am tired right now."

"Alright, Mija. Take care and also give a call to your mamma. She is worried about you. Te quiero."

I don't answer anything.

When I look outside the window we have already reached the parking lot of our home.