CHAPTER 49

NORA'S POV

"No, you aren't getting out of the bed." I groan out of frustration. I have been on the bed for more than 3 days after getting discharged from the hospital. Kai hasn't let me out of his sight. I get that he is worried about me but if I move an inch, he pops up out of nowhere like a skin walker. I have read all the books that I missed and now I am so bored as fuck. It's fucking hard to be sick and in bed.

"I am fine, Kai." I get out of the bed and walk out of the bedroom. I haven't even felt the warmth of the sun in the last 3 days. It's crazy how I am missing the sun. I am totally exaggerating.

I walk towards the living room and spot Kai. He is wearing his usual black compression shirt and black shorts. My eyes do its own thing. What? I may be sick but I can appreciate my man. I check the clock and realize that it's time for his training. He catches sight of me and I flinch. Fuck! I got caught. He glares at me and I wave at him sheepishly. He shakes his head in disappointment. I just smile.

My phone rings and Kai eyes me. Well, I have been advised to not be in front of the screens and its fucking terrible.

"I will put it on speaker." He just rolls his eyes. It's an unknown number. Should I pick it up or not? My heart thunders against my chest. My head is against me to pick up the phone.

Fuck it! I pick up the phone and I place it on the dining table.

Kai sits next to me. He has been very protective of me lately. I hear someone sigh on the phone.

"Tsk...Tsk......I sent a man to kill you and he ends up being an unsuccessful experiment. I am so disappointed that I put all my money on a wrong man. You ended up escaping and unhurt. Well, you did end up hurt but not dead which was disappointing." I record the conversation. I hear Kai standing up and pacing the room.

My eyebrows furrow.

"I should be saying sorry to disappoint but the question is why would I be?" I hear someone laugh.

They have made the voice not so detectable. The voice is clearly computerized.

"You don't have to be sorry that man who failed at his job should be sorry. But can a dead man be sorry?" My eyes widen with shock and disgust. The voice pauses and then I hear someone screeching. I clench my fists. The cops are searching for the man but they have been unsuccessful.

"What do you mean by that?" I hear more laughs. The laugh sounds manic and completely unhinged. Whoever is that, the person doesn't fucking regret anything.

"You are a smart girl; you will figure it out. Also, I send you a gift with a cute little note. I hope you like my gift. Goodbye." The person hangs up and the doorbell rings.

Whoever the person is, he is completely deranged, a lunatic. That person revels in spilling blood and playing with people's lives. He gambles with lives.

The doorbell rings again. Kai treads towards the door. I catch hold of his elbow.

"Kai, don't go. It might be dangerous. Call Mr. Barnes to check the door." I plead. His fingers stroke my cheeks.

"He is outside. He texted me, alright, they left the box out of the door and left."I sigh.

We don't take the box inside and open it outside.