014: Dancing in the Moonlight

TREVOR JAKE ALVERDE

TREVOR JAKE ALVERDE

The living room on the second floor of our house became a wardrobe for all of us. My stepmother hired a few stylists to help us prepare for the night, and we gathered in this place so they could do their jobs more effectively.

"You should smile," my father's second wife jokingly approached me. She's all dressed up, and her bold lipstick contradicts the tenderness of her eyes.

Isang blangkong tingin lamang ang ibinigay ko sa kaniya. I understand that she's trying to be decent with his husband's children and that she's trying to woo us so that her dream family would come true, but nothing will ever work on me. I only have one mother, and she will forever be my father's second wife.

Isang malungkot na ngiti ang kaniyang isinagot sa akin bago niya tinapik ang aking balikat. I didn't know if something was there or she just pretended to brush off some imaginary dust.

"What time are you going to pick Leirin up?"

Hindi ko maiwasang mapaismid sa tanong ni Ate Therese kay Terrence habang ako ay nakamasid sa bintana. I knew that my calm breathing became tight as I pocketed a hand balled into a fist.

Why do I need to be not good enough for her?

Ever since she became a Patterson, she had this pseudo-freedom. She still hasn't escaped manipulative people. Her brother is low-key, making decisions for her and taking advantage of her adjustment to her new life. Mukhang pinupwersa nito si Terrence patungo sa direksyon niya and she was gladly obliging, unaware he was taking control of her choices.

I hate that she is one of them.

We arrived at the venue a little late, as I needed to wait for Dennis and Jeric to come and pick me up. A slight smirk appeared on my lips upon seeing the venue's design. It was too far from the monotonous black-and-white masquerade balls usually held by the Black Heaven Organization.

A grand staircase in the middle of the venue had a flower arch at the bottom. It was a mixture of white, light pink, and gold. There was mesh covering the balloons and vines of flowers hanging from the ceiling. It was classy in a girly, elegant kind of way, which accurately depicts Leirin's personality. Bubbles were floating in the air, and smoke machines created mists that added to the whimsical feel of the whole place.

I was pulled from my trance when everyone applauded, and there she was, on the top of the staircase with her arms hooked to my brother's. She looked like a princess straight from a fairytale. The way she smiles captivated everyone watching her. Her radiance lit up the place, making it more magical.

It felt like I was in some kind of book that hopeless romantics would read repeatedly. However, I wasn't the prince of the leading lady; I was just a side character watching them from afar, one with the spectating crowd.