037: Triumphant Failure

LANCE ANTHONY PATTERSON

There were too many whys and hows. When someone more powerful than you decides to make a move, it sometimes makes you feel like a fool. They would make you believe that you know everything and have all the information in your hand. They will let you firmly believe something until time calls them to reveal everything.

My father made a fool of me. I knew that there was something up his sleeves. At least what he announced validated that the woman we met the other night was my mother, whom I still can't trust. I am unsure if she is on our family's side. She might be lending a hand to the Umbral Consortium.

I could not predict what my father's next steps would be. I don't know if he is only holding on to our aunt due to a personal grudge or if it was a tactical move.

"I could hear your thoughts." Her soft fingertips gliding across my bare chest sent shivers down my spine. The blanket was wrapped from her naked chest and down. She was resting in my arms, her breathing stable.

"You should rest, Lance," Xaira reminded, resting her palm on my face before planting a kiss on my cheek.

"I know, I just can't," I quietly responded.

It has been three days since that briefing was done. Until now, I still haven't made my plans. The only plan I could devise was how to accomplish the order my father gave effectively.

She lifted herself and supported her weight with her elbow just to look at me. With a sweet smile, she rested on my chest and wrapped her arms around me. My arms instinctively moved to wrap around her, too, and with her rubbing my abdomen with her hand, I fell asleep.

We spent the next day preparing for the transfer. Inihanda namin ang mga sasakyan at tauhan. My father surely does not want this to fail.

After contemplating for a while, I figured he was just holding a grudge against my aunt kaya ayaw niya itong pakawalan, wala na akong nakikitang ibang dahilan para panatilihin niya ito sa pangangalaga ng Black Heaven Organizaton.

Pretty lame, if I might add.

With full gear on and with an AK-47 sashed around my body, I was patiently guarding the solid metal cage carrying the woman who made things complicated. It has a sliding peephole that we never dared to open. Kasalukuyan kaming karga ng isang armored vehicle para masiguro ang seguridad ng paglilipat.

It is now time to accomplish the transfer of Angeline Vestine. Hinintay lang naming sumapit ang dilim at tumuntong ang patay na oras ng hating-gabi bago namin sinimulan ang misyon.

The roaring engines of fast-paced vehicles dominated the almost empty highway.

Blake and Ethan were following us in two separate vehicles. Xaira was in front, coordinating with the driver. Bukod kay Blake at Ethan ay may nakasunod din sa aming mga Feathers para masigurong magiging maayos ang paghahatid na aming gagawin.