045: Whispers

TREVOR JAKE ALVERDE

TREVOR JAKE ALVERDE

I stood up from my seat and opened the window blinds to let the sun's rays brighten her room. I checked the air conditioner's temperature to ensure she wouldn't be too cold. Kinuha ko ang iced coffee na idinaan ni Dennis kanina bago ako muling naupo sa upuan malapit sa kama ni Leirin.

Tinitigan ko ang payapa nitong mukha. Gusto kong isipin na mahimbing lamang itong natutulog pero isa at kalahating linggo na rin nang mabawi namin siya mula sa Umbral Consortium pero hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa ito nagmumulat ng mata.

She must have used a lot of her strength to survive back there kaya binabawian siya ng kaniyang katawan ngayon.

Nakatingin lamang ako sa malayo habang sinisipsip ang straw ng kape sa aking kamay. Labis ang panghihinayang na aking nararamdaman. Hindi ko alam kung paano ko sasabihin sa kaniya ang balita sa sandaling magmulat siya.

I am not sure how she would react. There were a lot of what ifs, what-would-have-beens, what-should-have-beens and what-could-have-beens. May hindi maipaliwanag na pait na nanunuot ultimo kasuluk-sulukan ng aking pagkatao.

The clicking of the door knob made me put the coffee down as I waited for who would enter.

Iniluwa nito si Artemis na may dalang isang bouquet ng sariwang bulaklak at isang paper bag na malamang ay naglalaman ng pagkaing maaari kong maging almusal. Inilapag niya ito sa ibabaw ng isang drawer na nakatabi sa gilid bago niya tahimik na inayos sa flower base ang mga dala niyang bulaklak.

"I am missing her energy," she commented, reaching for Leirin's blanket and fixing it up to her chest. "I don't think she would be the same the moment she wakes up," pagpapatuloy nito sabay hawi sa ilang hibla ng buhok ni Leirin na humarang sa mukha nito.

She's right. She might not be the same the moment she wakes up. What happened might be a cloud blocking her sunrays from warming everyone around her.

"How are you coping with what happened? It's a part of you, too," she asked, looking me straight in the eye.

Leirin had a miscarriage. Lance brought it to my attention when we talked after I was shot. We could not confirm, but based on Ethan and Terrence's observation after they got the two of us, something was wrong with her. That is why I was so eager to save her, that I am too afraid of time, that we might be too late before we get to her.

I was doing fine when it wasn't confirmed, but when the doctor mentioned it, I almost lost it. It tore my heart into pieces, but I needed to swallow the pain because I knew that I needed to be strong for her.

She had multiple surgeries when she was at the infirmary of Hidden Heaven. Still, then, they recommended that we bring her to a hospital, so we flew her back home and admitted her to the nearest hospital owned by the Black Heaven Organization.