041: Torment

LEIRIN ANDREA PATTERSON

I did not know what Trevor injected me with, but... who cares? I'm in survival mode. The last time I felt like this was when Lyrie tried to kill me when I was left alone. Something in me is pushing me to fight so I can live.

I don't have dreams of my own, but I want to live a life with the people I care about. I do not have a direction yet, but I'd love to live long until I figure out where I am headed to.

People would absentmindedly kiss the people they love in the heat of the moment, while I? I would absentmindedly grab a gun and shoot someone without thinking twice to protect the people who matter to me.

I did not know what I was doing. I, out of instinct, stole Dennis' pistol, and I did not even hear any of the words he said. I know he asked me a question, but I do not have time to answer him because Trevor might die if I waste any more time.

When I saw Hale strangling Trevor, I knew I needed to do things. Hindi pwedeng nanonood lang ako, kailangan ay kumilos ako dahil hindi naman ako matututo kung palagi lang akong nakatago sa likod ng kung sino.

Imagine shooting the person who once brought you comfort. No, I am not imagining things. I am doing it. I shot him.

I wasn't trained to hold a gun, yet miraculously, I was able to hit what I was aiming for, his shoulder. Hindi ko alam kung dala ba ng galit o ng takot. Baka naman dala ito ng kagustuhan kong maprotektahan ang mga taong aking pinahahalagahan. Hindi ako sigurado. Ang tanging alam ko lang ay nagawa kong isantabi ang recoil, na dati ay sanhi ng pagbagsak ng aking baril sa lupa, para muling makapagpaputok.

Another bullet to Hale's shoulder, I still feel no regret. It felt like I was doing the right thing. This was never right. The only thing that made it right was the fact that I was doing this to protect the person I love. Nothing could ever justify killing people. You were no god to decide who lives and who does not.

Pero sa mundong ito... ayos lang. Ayos lang kasi masama siyang tao. Ayos lang kasi para naman sa minamahal mo. Ayos lang kasi may pinoprotekhan ka. For the greater good, and for the betterment of an irreparable and corrupt world.

"You weren't the Olivia I knew."

I know. I wasn't Olivia anymore. I was never Olivia. It was a lie of a life crafted to hide me from the world that would forever chase me. I was born to live this world and this life. Kahit palitan mo ang lahat ng letra sa aking pangalan ay hindi nito mababago ang aking kapalaran.

Buong lakas kong ikinasa muli ang baril na aking hawak. Nararamdaman ko na ang unti-unting panlalambot ng aking tuhod at ang aking pagkahilo. Kaunti na lang ay bibigay na ako. I need to end this as fast as I can.

I looked Hale dead in the eye before I responded to his comment. "Simply because I am not Olivia."

It was the truth. Olivia is a fictional person my mother created to save me from the complications of the organization I am serving.