Fossils, Friends, and Foes Pt. 2

Welcome back all. Just want to say sorry about the wait. The ending of this chapter fought me a little bit. In addition, I didn't know my authors' note got cut off the end of the last chapter until after I published it. Essentially Vinces' new form is just a recolored Beast Machines Nightscream, although not so hunchbacked. While researching the characters I wanted to use, I saw some parallels between the two and thought, 'why not?' Anyway, on with the story. Enjoy. Note: edited 3/15/22

Clearing the space bridge Bulkhead, Wheeljack and Miko appeared at the bottom of a bluff in Scotland. Miko circled once before landing and transforming back next to the bots. "Alright boys, where we headed?" She asked looking at the small holomap Wheeljack was holding.

Bulkhead pointed to his left. "They're at another bluff three miles that way. Although I think we can shave some time off the trip by going up and over the next bluff. Not to mention gain the element of surprise." He turned his hand slightly to the right.

Wheeljack nodded and shut the map off before looking at Miko. "You mind doing some aerial recon for us?" He asked. At her raised eyebrow, he smirked. "Wrecker rule 17." He grinned.

Bulkhead nodded. "Guards never look up. From what we saw on the map the cons are stationary. They won't be expecting anyone to observe them from above." He looked over at Miko to. "And besides, from that altitude they'd probably just think you're a regular bird."

Miko fist pumped. "Say no more boys." She shifted back to her bird mode. "Time to take wing and take names." With a flap of her wings, she was airborne again. She was really coming to enjoy flying and all the freedom that came with it.

When she got high enough, she flew to the bluff in question. Looking down she focused in of the Decepticons working around the area. During the last week she'd discovered that she'd inherited her beast modes binocular vision in both modes. She'd successfully tested it by clearly reading contract fine print from the other end of the base. Observing the Decepticon operation from this high up was not going to be a problem.

Looking around she saw that several Vehicons were using what looked like excavation equipment to dig around the area. She could tell they were searching for something, even if she didn't know what they were looking for. Looking again she saw something that made her spark flare in anger. Standing near the cliff wall, supervising the Vehicons and looking utterly bored, was Knockout.

For a brief second, she considered divebombing that flamboyant fop and raking her talons across his beloved paint job. But looking out of the corner of her eye she saw that Bulkhead and Wheeljack had just finished climbing up the bluff that they'd bridged next too. Putting revenge on hold for a moment she turned and flew back. Better to have backup for this.

While Miko was doing her recon, Bulkhead and Wheeljack began climbing their way to the top of bluff. Part way up Bulkhead asked a question that'd been bugging him for a few days. "Hey Jackie, I been meaning to ask, I know you and Mags didn't get along all that well back in the day. But now your following orders and mission assignments from him. What changed?"

Wheeljack, near the top, paused his ascent. "Honestly Bulkie, Miko and the boys' situation happened. When I came across them when I was escaping, I could tell they were scared and panicked, no matter how much they tried to hide it." He sighed. "I think I just took it upon myself to protect and help them, and ultimately, their wellbeing is more important than my pride or my dislike of following orders." With one final heave he pulled himself to the top of the bluff.

Bulkhead pulled himself up a minute later. "It seems like Terrorjack the Wrecker lost to the guardian in you." He teased.

Wheeljack rolled his optics. "You spent way too much time with Drift Bulkie." He shot back. He'd never admit it, (It would ruin his tough bot image) but his spark went out to those three.