New Face of Darkness Pt.3

Femmes and Gentlemechs, this is where we start to turn things around. First off, I apologize for the last cliffhanger, I know it was on a dark note. But hey, it wouldn't be a Beast Wars without a dark cliffhanger. I also have events that echo the original series in this chapter, as well as two new Maximals. Although they'll have to go backwards to move forward. Enjoy.

*20 years in the future*

On the dead world of Cybertron, a six-foot technorganic rat and a technorganic tanuki raced across the desolate landscape with glowing yellow fuel rods strapped to their backs. Behind them a contingent of undead Terrorcons was in hot pursuit.

"Aw man." The rat yelled as he panted to keep up. "We can't pull this off without the rods, but if we keep the rods the zombots will get us. Either way we're all gonna die."

"Shut up Rattrap." Heinrad panted as he ran. As much as he hated to admit that his friend was right, he knew that they were too far from the base. Suddenly, a large figure rounded the corner in front of them.

"Rhinox, Maximize." Bellowed a familiar voice.

Seconds later a pair of energy beams shot forth and literally cleaved their pursuers in half. Stopping for a second to catch their breath, they saw that the Terrorcons were still trying to pursue them, only now they could only pull themselves along with their arms.

"That bought us some time." Heinrad panted. "Thanks uncle Raf."

Rhinox nodded. "Get to the lab and help me get those fuel rods connected!" He began. "Then prepare for the time shunt." As the two young Maximals took off Raf sighed to himself. "We have even less time to do this than I thought." He muttered.

Minutes later, Rhinox, Rattrap and Heinrad were all in Rhinoxs' makeshift laboratory. Most of the workspace was taken up by a large plexiglass dome with three chairs in it. The fuel rods had been connected by Rhinox while Heinrad and Rattrap transformed to help with the final adjustments to the time machine.

"Now remember." Raf began as he sealed the power core. "We need to make sure Optimus survives the battle of Unit-E. His death is what gave Unicron the advantage." He couldn't help shuddering at the memory of Optimus taking the blast from the Nemesis all those years ago. They'd lost so much that day.

"Yeah, we know what to do unc." Rattrap replied. His rat tail was now connected to the time machines' computer to do the final calculations. "Make sure the big guy keeps kicking fender so that none of this happens." While he wasn't the biggest fan of dying, if it meant everyone else lived, he could live with it.

"As long as we succeed, I don't care." Heinrad muttered, staring down at the two Blades of Time Raf had mounted in his chest years ago. They would be essential for the time machine to work. However, he silently hoped he could see his mom and dad. Even for a moment.

An alarm on the controls got all their attention. "We need to move, now!" Raf yelled.

A large shadow suddenly fell over the lab. Looking out a window, the three Maximals saw a sight that chilled them to the spark. Looming over the planet was a colossal orange and silver form with purple veins of dark energon that ran across the body. Unicron, had caught up with them at last.

"I'll set the timer, you two, into the machine!" Raf yelled. He ran back to the controls to initiate the time jump.

Heinrad and Rattrap ran into the machine. Sitting down in two of the three seats inside Rattrap attached his tail to the computer console in his seat while Heinrad felt a pair of cables connect to his chest. What caught the pair of them off guard however was the door to the time machine closing and sealing. A countdown began to echo across the lab.