Exchange and Evolution

Sorry for the delay with this chapter. However, I hope going back and re-editing all the other chapters makes up for it. Special shout out to Monkey D. Conan who managed to guess one of my plot twists in this chapter. zzStrap in, cause here we go.

It was two days after the beach trip and things had become tense around the base with the addition of Depthcharge. Most of the bots didn't trust the former Decepticon, as their aversion to him showed. It culminated in Bulkhead 'accidently' throwing their lobbing ball at him during a two-on-two game with Wheeljack, Bumblebee, and Smokescreen. Depthcharge managed to deflect it with a newly discovered sword, but redirected it without thinking at Sierra and Miko who were talking on the other side of the room.

Miko managed to teleport them away in time, but it didn't stop Bulkhead from tearing into Depthcharge about the incident. The two would have come to blows had Jack not run into the hangar hearing the commotion.

Pulling his best impression of Optimus, Jack asked the bots in question. "Alright, what happened?"

Bulkhead spoke first. "Dreadwing here nearly killed Miko." He exclaimed pointing to where the two femmes were standing and the ball was now wedged into the side of the hangar.

Depthcharge growled. "This scraphead aimed that ball at me Leobolt, I deflected it on instinct. I didn't see where it was going until Wingsaber and Botanica teleported away." He explained, more comfortable using the maximals field names.

Jack looked at Bulkhead, who now looked guilty. Partly because he knew this was true, and because Miko and Sierra had just walked back into the hangar glaring at him. "Look Bulkhead, I know we all have history with Depthcharge." He said, putting emphasis on the new name, causing Bulkhead to cringe. "But he is a Maximal now, and on our side, we need to put our history aside for all our sakes."

He turned towards Depthcharge who was barely containing a smirk. "And Depthcharge, please be more aware of your surroundings." Jack sighed. "It may have been the ball this time, but if it were one of your plasma disks in a battle."

Depthcharge cringed at the visual. "Understood sir." He apologized.

"I couldn't have put it better myself." Optimus said from the doorway, making everyone jump. How did a bot that size move that quietly? "Bulkhead, take a drive, cool your wheels, Miko please go with him and stay in beast mode. Jackson, please come with me."

Gritting his teeth, Bulkhead nodded and transformed and drove out of the hangar. Giving Jack a quick peck on the cheek, Miko transformed and followed her partner out of the hangar. Nodding to Sierra and the other bots Jack followed Optimus to the next hangar. Entering it he saw that Ultra Magnus was already waiting for him.

"Ah, Leobolt, thank you for coming." Magnus said as he stepped away from the console he was working on and picking up a datapad.

Optimus stood next to Magnus and spoke. "Magnus has brought something to my attention recently Jack." At Jacks' suddenly stiff posture Optimus gave a sigh. "Nothing problematic, it was only something that Magnus suggested that I happen to agree with. Magnus." He gestured to the bot next to him.

Ultra Magnus cleared his throat. "Considering that the three, now seven of you, are now more closely aligned with our cause than you were before and have been key to several victories, I would like to offer you the chance to become an unofficial Autobot unit, like the Wreckers or The Elite Guard. That said, I'd also like to name you as commander."

Jacks' eyes widened and he had to stop his jaw from dropping. A commander, him? "I, I think there's been a mistake Magnus. I mean Depthcharge is the only one of us with any kind of military training and we don't really have a chain of command." Magnus' brow twitched slightly. That was exactly why he suggested this, not that he'd say it out loud.