Families, Friends and Fights

We're back. Welcome one and all to a new chapter of Beast Wars Prime. As I said in my last authors' note, I have 6 more Maximals in the works. This chapter has the first one. That said, I am also going to begin posting this story on AO3 under the same username I have here. Hope you like this chapter and Fowlers' backstory.

"When, exactly, were you planning to tell us about this?" Jack growled at Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Agent Fowler. The other Maximals stood behind him, looking equally angry. June was glaring at the trio right alongside them.

The Maximals had heard a loud commotion in one of the empty hangars on the Unit-E base. Investigating they discovered something that shocked and infuriated them. Inside was a replica of the equipment that Knockout and later Shockwave used to turn the six humans into Maximals, complete with the Enigma of Combination. It didn't help that the trio were overseeing the construction being done by Perceptor Nautica and Brainstorm. The group stormed into the hangar and demanded to know what was going on. This caused Ultra Magnus to reveal the existence of Project Pheonix.

Fowler then reluctantly explained that the Pentagon wanted to form a group of Maximals from wounded U.S. soldiers to work sensitive cases. Unfortunately, this revelation didn't go over too well, and the ensuing shouting drew both June and Arcee. Rung, who'd been relaxing topside, followed moments later,

Optimus wanted to console the young Maximals but Magnus butted in. "Project Pheonix was on a need-to-know basis, and frankly, you didn't need to know." Magnus answered simply, effectively putting his foot in his mouth.

"Considering you planned to make more Maximals from humans." Miko bit out. "I'd say we more than deserved to know about it."

"How did you even get the cybermater to work with?" Raf asked. He was just as furious as the others, but his scientific curiosity was outweighing it, if barely.

Optimus interceded. "It was recovered in the wreckage of Darkmount." He explained. He genuinely felt remorse for their deception, but it was more necessary than they knew. "However, we only recovered enough to preform three procedures."

"It doesn't matter how many Optimus." June interrupted, marching up to look him in the optic. "You still went behind their backs."

"Nurse Darby, I assure you that-" Optimus was cut off.

"Your assurances aren't worth squat right now buster." June argued. Jack winced at the word that'd been used on him on the few occasions he got in trouble. "After my kids and Garrisons' were put through that torture you want to do it to others too?" She was nearly screaming by the end of her tirade.

She took a few deep breaths. "Kids, let's go. I think we all need to blow off some steam." She turned and left the lab. The other Maximals transformed into their beast modes and followed suit. Arcee turned to follow when Magnus called out to her.

"Could you please explain to your partner and his mother the importance of-"

"If you're looking for an ally." Arcee interrupted. "You're asking the wrong femme." With that she nodded to June and transformed, allowing June to climb on. The group took off out of the hangar and moments later, were off the base.

Rung looked at Ultra Magnus. "I did try to warn you Magnus." He began. "To you it was just a project, but to them, this was a massive slap in the face."

He turned to Optimus. "Once they return sir, I'd recommend explaining to them the other reason for Project Pheonix."

"Doctor, while similar to their circumstances, it's not exact." Magnus justified. "They were kidnapped and forced through the procedure. The subjects for Project Pheonix whoever, are volunteers who know what they're getting into. And I disagree with you about disclosing sensitive information."