Chapter 1

January 878

Chippenham

Ragnar Asgrim was dying. The evening winter sky was stretched out in front of him in a colorful array. Nightfall wasn't far off and would bring even colder temperatures, but he was chilled through already, even with his warm furs wrapped tightly around his body. He knew the end of his life was near, but he would die with his sword in his hand and would be in Valhalla before long. He smiled a little to himself.

The battle had been harsh, but they had killed most of Alfred's men and forced the English King to run. They had fought well, but none of that was his concern anymore. He had done his part.

And now, it was over. The battle, the day, and soon, his life.

He didn't even feel pain anymore. The sword that had sliced through his side had somehow not killed him instantly, but he knew it wouldn't be long. He was slowly bleeding out. He could feel himself growing colder by the moment.

The stench of death filled the air as the men scattered around him were either dead, or dying. But Ragnar barely noticed. He didn't hear their screams of pain or their cries for help.

His thoughts drifted to Edela, his woman. Would she be alright? She was a Dane, and a beautiful one at that. She'd find another husband to warm her bed. His only regret was leaving his child fatherless.

Darkness settled over the field and he stared up at the stars. So many stars. But then, something entered his field of vision, blocking his view. Ragnar huffed in annoyance. Couldn't he die peacefully?

"Do you want to live?" A voice said above him.

He tried to focus his eyes on the shape hovering over him, but they wouldn't cooperate. "I do not think that is possible," he whispered, his voice hoarse. When was the last time he'd had a drink?

"I can make it possible. Swear allegiance to me, and you will live for as long as you wish," the voice said. "Refuse, and I will let you die."

Ragnar squinted at the man. "Who are you?"

"I am Ranald Remington, The Alpha King," the voice answered.

Ragnar frowned. He had heard of Ranald Remington. The man answered to no one, swore allegiance to no king, though many had tried to ally themselves with him. He took no side, and could not be bought. He had his own men, and Ragnar had heard that they were ruthless. Undefeated in battle, and to be against them meant death.

Ragnar was a Dane. He was ruthless as well. What did he have to lose? Nothing. And he had everything to gain.

"I will swear allegiance to you," he whispered. He already knew his wound was fatal, and there was nothing that could be done for him.

Remington grunted. "Good." He brought a cup to Ragnar's lips. "Drink."

Ragnar opened his parched lips. The taste of something metallic touched his tongue and trickled down his throat. Blood, he thought and coughed a bit, the blood escaping his lips, and dribbling down his long beard.

Remington kept the cup in place, forcing Ragnar to drink it all. When he was finished, Remington brought out a knife and cut his hand, dripping blood over Ragnar's wound. His body warmed, and he felt tingling in his wounded side. He felt strength and power surge through him.

"You are now bound to me," Ranald Remington stood and offered Ragnar his hand. He reached up and took the hand, and Remington hauled Ragnar to his feet, surprising him with his strength. "Come."

Remington turned and took off into the woods surrounding the field at a run. Ragnar reached down and felt his side. It was sticky with blood, but whole. He shook his head in wonder, then took off after Remington.