Chapter 11

A knock on her door stirred Talia from her thoughts. She scented the air, and realized quickly that it was Ragnar. She didn't want to see him, but then she remembered the relief he would give her from the crushing sorrow and gave in.

"Come in," she called.

The door opened and he stepped inside, bringing a plate of food with him. She heard her stomach growl as the scent of the food permeated the air. He set the plate down on the dresser then sat down in front of her on the corner of her bed. "Evening. How did it go?" His blue eyes roamed over her quickly, then stopped on her face, almost as though he was checking to make sure she was uninjured.

Talia looked him over herself, drinking in the sight of him. She hadn't seen him all day. "It went well, I think," she said quietly.

She saw his eyes dart down and glow briefly. She looked down herself and gasped. After Matthew had finished nursing, she'd been so lost in thought, she'd forgotten to cover herself. She jumped up and pushed Matthew in his arms and scurried to the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind herself. She stared at herself in the mirror, her face red in embarrassment.

'You've never had a problem with nudity before,' Lila chortled, amusement clear in her voice.

Getting out had done Lila a world of good. 'I also am usually not in front of people who have been sucking on those exposed body parts in my dreams the night before.' Talia grumbled at her.

'Perhaps, but he doesn't know that,' Lila reminded her.

Talia slipped off the sweatshirt she'd been wearing, and cleaned herself up. She splashed water on her face, reminding herself that he knew that she'd been nursing. But still...she steeled herself and walked out of the bathroom. She couldn't hide forever.

He was standing now and burping Matthew. He glanced at her when she walked out.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. She could feel the tears wanting to escape and swallowed hard, trying to keep them from doing so.

"I'm sorry for embarrassing you," he told her quietly. "Go ahead and eat."

She nodded and grabbed the plate of food, before sitting back in the chair. Whoever did the cooking for the pack was amazing. She moaned at the taste of the roasted chicken, then turned beat red as she felt his eyes on her. She wanted to hide under the covers. She could hear Lila chuckling at her in her mind.

'Stop,' she muttered.

'I don't think I've ever seen you this embarrassed before,' Lila laughed.

Ragnar placed Matthew back in his crib as Talia finished eating. He sat down in the chair, leaving the bed to her. "Did you enjoy getting out?"

She settled down on the bed and brushed back a stray hair. "Yes. I needed it. Lila needed it. I ..." she stopped, unsure of how much to say to him.

He stood and walked over to her side of the bed and sat down at her feet before gently placing a hand on her lower leg.

Talia felt the calm and peace flow through her, relaxing her. She breathed out slowly, as the aching in her chest let up. "Will you go to New York with me?" She hadn't meant to ask him. It had slipped out, but at the same time, she knew this trip was going to be extremely difficult for her.

"I will," he said, his hand still on her leg. "I should leave you alone."

He moved his hand, and Talia felt her chest tighten up. "No, wait." She scooted over next to him and rested her head on his shoulder.

He slipped and arm around her and she sighed at the peace she felt. "Jenna is a beautiful wolf," she was just trying to cover up her own embarrassment and guilt for taking the comfort he provided.