Chapter 37

Ragnar took Talia's hand and led her down the hall to his bedroom, opening the door. They both settled on the couch next to each other, Talia leaning against Ragnar as he wrapped an arm around her.

"I'm torn. Part of me wants you but the other part of me is afraid of what might happen," she confessed. She knew honesty was best for their evolving relationship. Ragnar had been her best friend over the last several months. He was still the same man she'd been attracted too, still the same man she'd been with in her dreams.

"Well I promise you the sky's not going to fall. But I do know what you mean which is why I told you to take your time. There's no pressure. We can take things as slow as you'd like or as fast as you'd like. Just talk to me and let me know what's going on that pretty little head of yours," Ragnar kissed the top of her head. "As crazy as it sounds, this is going to be hard for me to adjust to as well, though I've had more time than you to prepare myself. I actually haven't lived with a woman since I was married."

Talia smiled. "And now you're getting a woman and a pup. Right now I'm thinking about how nice it is to just sit here with you. I'm also thinking about kissing you," she admitted. "But I would like to know what you're thinking."

"I don't think I can tell you that all the time." Ragnar admitted with a smirk.

"Why not?"

"Because my thoughts about you aren't always that pure."

"Oh? Can you give me an example?" Talia was really curious now.

He laughed. "Well, when you were running your hands all over me earlier..."

Talia frowned. "When I was.. Oh!" She blushed. "I didn't even think about it that way. I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be a tease."

"I know. You were just concerned. But it didn't stop my thoughts." He hugged her close to him again. "Now let's talk about you kissing me."

She chuckled. "You're changing the subject."

"Well not exactly, but there's no way I'm telling you that I was thinking about bending you over my kitchen table, sliding your shorts down and.."

Talia reached up and pulled him down to her and kissed him. He smiled inwardly as she wrapped her arms around him. Kissing her was amazing. He'd kissed many women in his lifetime and none had ever compared to her, none of them made him feel the way she did. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her up against him, not breaking the kiss. Talia ran her hand up through his beard, and he finally buried his head in her neck. "You smell so good."

"So do you," She responded, as she kissed his neck.

Talia?

Yes? She brought her lips back up to Ragnar's.

I cannot get Matthew to sleep. He's just really fussy. I'm really sorry to bug you.

Oh Astrid, you're not bugging me. I'm thankful you've taken care of him this long. When he gets like that, he just needs his mamma. I'll be there in a few. Are you still at Charlotte's?

Ragnar trailed his hand down to her thigh, and she moaned into his mouth, disappointed this was all about to end.

Yeah I am.

Okay. I'll be there shortly then. She broke off the kiss, looking at him for a moment, then kissed him again.

Ragnar hungrily kissed her back. "Talia," he whispered as he leaned his forehead against hers.

"I have to go." she said in disappointment.

He stared at her for a moment, a little dazed. "Matthew?"