Chapter 13

Talia felt herself crumble under the weight of James's mother's words. They were the same ones that kept repeating through her own head, and now James's mother was confirming them.

Daniel and Ragnar stepped in front of her while Jenna wrapped an arm around her, keeping her from dropping to her knees in the mud under the weight of the accusations thrown her way.

She felt the powerful auras radiate from the two men, and the entire pack bowed their heads.

"Talia was protecting the Royal family. If you want to blame someone, blame Jason. Blame Leon. You lost your son, but she lost her mate and the father of her pup," Daniel said coldly, his aura pressing down on the gathering.

James's father stepped forward, his head bowed. "I apologize for my mate, Alpha." He grabbed her arm, pulling her away from them all and off to the side. She turned in his arms, burying her head in his chest as she sobbed.

Talia shuddered. She couldn't blame them for being angry with her. She just wanted to curl up and die here with James.

The ceremony was thankfully short, with Alpha Quinton presiding over it. She wasn't expected to say anything and after what had happened with James's mother, she was glad for that. She didn't want everyone's eyes on her more than they already were.

Once it was over, she stood for a long moment, staring down into the grave, as Lila let loose a lone sorrowful howl in her mind, before she turned and walked away from her mate, leaving him in the cold ground. Good bye, my love.

Daniel, Jenna and Ragnar were waiting patiently for her, and they surrounded her as they walked back, Jenna with an arm around her, Daniel with his arm through hers and Ragnar right behind her. They left the cemetery and headed back to Talia's parents' home. James's mother hadn't confronted her again.

Talia slipped back up to her room as soon as she could and changed out of her wet, muddy clothes before throwing herself on the bed and sobbing. She didn't have it in her anymore to keep going. She could probably convince Charlotte and Caleb to adopt Matthew and raise him for her. They would be good to her son, raise him well. He'd be safe in Regal Eclipse.

A hand on her back startled her and she turned her head to see Ragnar kneeling on the floor next to the bed. He brushed her hair back from her face. "Talia," he whispered softly.

"I can't keep going," she said, turning her head away from him.

"You can. You will get through this. I know today has been horrible, but it's over now. James wouldn't want you to give up." Ragnar stroked her back, his touch relaxing her.

She turned to look back at him. The man was so beautiful, and could have any woman out there. She didn't understand why he bothered with her. "Why are you wasting your time on me? I'm so broken."

"I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, Talia." His eyes glowed as he looked at her. "And you're not broken. You're just hurting."

"I don't know why you calm me, but you do. I feel guilty for using you," she muttered without thinking.

"Use me then. If that's what you need to do to get you through this, then do it," Ragnar said calmly, stroking her back.

She stared at him for several long moments. "I don't have anything to offer you in return."

His eyes glowed again. "You don't need to offer me anything."

"I feel selfish," she whispered.

"Be selfish then. You need to get through this. For Matthew." For me. "Do what you must, but don't give up. You have too much to live for."