Chapter 5

(This scene also takes place in Book 1: Alpha King's Missing Mate Chapter 48 from Talia's POV)

Ragnar couldn't pull his eyes away from the she-wolf who had just entered the room with his Alpha. She was beautiful, with long blond hair, and clear blue eyes. Her lips were full and parted, her skin a healthy golden tan. She was almost a foot shorter than him, and she wore a purple flannel shirt, the sleeves rolled up to her elbows, and a pair of faded jeans. He could tell she'd been crying, her eyes were swollen, and she looked exhausted. He couldn't imagine the pain she felt after losing her mate.

And that was what confused him. Werewolves didn't get second chance mates, unless they were members of his pack. 'You're sure?' he asked Rollo, though he already knew the answer.

'Of course I'm sure.' Rollo was disgusted. 'But she doesn't know. She's drawn to us, and so is her wolf, but they don't realize we're their mate yet.'

'How is that possible?' He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

'Perhaps she will join our pack soon,' Rollo suggested, preening for his mate.

It sounded logical, but it annoyed him a bit that she didn't realize he belonged to her.

'Mate is not ready for us,' Rollo said wisely. 'She is hurting. They both are. They need time.'

'Well, we have plenty of that,' Ragnar mused.

'For now, we must be their friend,' Rollo advised.

'She has a pup,' Ragnar reminded him.

'So? Then WE have a pup. We will train him well,' Rollo huffed at him. 'Shut up and let the Alpha speak. Other Alpha may know why mate doesn't recognize us.'

"Talia, this is Ragnar, my Beta," Daniel said, glancing back and forth between the two of them curiously. "I've got a few more things to do before we can get out of here. I'm going to leave her with you."

"Alright," Ragnar murmured, his gaze never leaving Talia.

Daniel raised an eyebrow at him, then shook his head and left the room.

Ragnar stood and walked over to Talia, stopping about a foot away from her. The urge to gather her in his arms and kiss away her pain nearly overwhelmed him, but he couldn't do it. He'd kill any chance he had with her.

Eleven hundred years he'd been a werewolf, and he'd never had a mate. He'd never understood why, and neither had anyone else. Ragnar had been married before he'd become a werewolf, but he'd had to walk away from that once he'd fully understood the ramifications of becoming an immortal werewolf bound to the Alpha King. He didn't regret the decision.

Of course, there had been other women, but none that he'd ever grown attached to. He'd watched others find their mates, and the joy they experienced from the bond. But he realized he'd never fully understood it until that moment, when Talia had entered the room. His world had stopped, been flipped upside down for a moment before being flipped back to his new normal. She was suddenly the center of his universe, his glorious sun that he would happily orbit around for the rest of his days.

But she had no idea, and he'd bet his favorite sword a new mate was the last thing Talia wanted right now.

'Don't bet the sword. I like that one,' Rollo said solemnly. 'She does want us, and it's freaking her out a little. I think even if we told her she was our mate, she'd be hesitant to reject us.'

Ragnar hoped Rollo was right.

'Stop staring at her like a creep and say something,' Rollo rolled his eyes at Ragnar.