Chapter 29

Cora sat next to Ragnar on the way back to Lone Star, her head resting on his shoulder as she slept. When they arrived, he woke her. "Cora. We're here."

She sat up and looked out the window. "Where's here?"

"Lone Star. Come on. Let's take you inside and get you checked out." Ragnar opened the door and she followed him out and inside of the hospital, clinging closely to him.

A female doctor approached them. "Beta," she bowed her head.

"Hi. This is Cora. She was captured by the rogues and held by them for about a week. She needs medical attention," Ragnar told her.

"Okay, we will take care of her," the doctor said. "Hi Cora. I'm Emma. Would you like to come with me? I just want to check you out, get you a shower and some clean clothes?"

Cora looked at Ragnar. "I'm not going far. She'll do a lot more for you than I can."

Cora looked back at the doctor, pulled the blanket tighter around herself and followed her into an exam room.

Ragnar watched her go and sighed. He knew she'd already been through way too much. He also knew she'd been telling the truth when she had said they hadn't raped her, but given how he'd found her, it was obvious they'd done other things.

Alpha Trent walked up behind him. "Your phone, Beta."

Ragnar turned to the Alpha and retrieved his phone. "Thanks for holding on to it for me. Somehow I don't think it would have survived that blast."

"I'm just glad you did. You think maybe you should get checked out?" Trent asked him.

Ragnar raised his eyebrows at the man. "I don't have a scratch on me, Alpha."

"Maybe not, but it would make me feel better," Trent told him.

Ragnar nodded. "Fine."

Trent found a doctor, a wolf who looked to be in his mid-thirties. "Shawn, the Beta here was involved in a blast. His body is mostly healed, but I want to make sure he's good to go. His heart stopped for a bit."

"Of course, Alpha. Come with me, Beta."

"Can I shower first, Doc? I'm covered in dirt and blood," Ragnar asked him. He might scare the doctor if the man saw his body at the moment.

"Um, okay." The doctor led Ragnar to a room with a shower. "You can shower here."

Ragnar lifted a brow at him. "Clothes?"

"I'll find you something."

He showered very quickly and came back out to find a fresh set of clothes waiting for him, along with a bag to toss his old ones in.

The doctor was waiting for him when he walked out of the room, which annoyed Ragnar because he knew there were plenty of people who needed the doctor much more than he did.

Ragnar followed him into an exam room, glancing around. He hadn't been in to see a doctor in recent memory. He frowned. Definitely a lot more modern.

"You can have a seat up on the exam table. What's your name, Beta?" The doctor asked, as he placed a blood pressure cuff on Ragnar's arm and began to pump it.

"Ragnar." He watched the doctor slowly release the air from the cuff. Not a fan of that, he thought.

"Your blood pressure is perfect. You mind taking off your shirt?" The doctor put the cuff away and then turned back to Ragnar, stethoscope in hand. He listened to Ragnar's heart and lungs, then noticed the large scar on his side. "Is that new?"