Chapter 28

The blast blew the ground up over several hundred square feet. Alpha Trent held his breath for a moment after it had quieted down. The blast had been deafening, and he was glad he's pulled his men back even further.

His ears were ringing, and he rubbed at them, then glanced at his men. They were all rubbing at their ears and looked startled.

When Trent deemed it safe, they headed back towards the trapdoor, the Alpha hoping the Royal Beta was still alive. "Approach the hole with caution!" he warned his pack.

One of the trackers stepped up to the hole and leaned down to look inside. "Alpha!" he yelled.

Trent hurried over and looked down. He could see the Beta laying off to the side, his body broken and covered in blood. He cursed and immediately jumped down, before his men could stop him. He glanced back up. "Get down here now!"
He hurried over to the Beta and knelt down. "I am so screwed." Ragnar wasn't breathing and Trent couldn't find a heartbeat.

"Is he alive?" Eric asked as he knelt down next to Trent with a first aid kit.

"I'm not sure," Trent muttered, as he continued to search for a heartbeat.

Eric opened the kit and looked at the Beta. "I don't even know where to start."

Ragnar was a mess, and both men set to work just cleaning up the blood for a few moments before suddenly, the Beta's body began to heal on its own. They both pulled back, watching in astonishment.

When the body had stopped healing, the Beta laid there for several long moments, his eyes still closed as Trent and Eric watched him carefully. They could see his chest rising and falling.

"I think he might be okay," Trent said hopefully.

"Of course I'm okay. Now stop crowding me," Ragnar muttered, his eyes still closed.

The two men immediately jumped up, both breathing a sigh of relief.

Ragnar laid there a moment longer, then sat up. He groaned a bit. 'That really sucked.'

'Better have been worth it,' Rollo growled.

Trent stepped forward. "At least let me help you."

Ragnar allowed the Alpha to haul him up. "My clothes?"

One of the warriors came forward with them, and Trent watched him with concern. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Ragnar pulled his shirt over his head. "I'm fine."

"Your heart stopped."

"Not the first time. Seriously, I'm fine." He looked at the Alpha. "Now, let's figure out how to open this door."

It took some work, and a tool kit one of the trackers had packed to get past the steel door. After a good hour, they had it unlocked.

"What do you think is in there?" Trent asked as the men worked to open the door.

"People," Ragnar responded simply.

Trent looked at him in horror. "We almost left them here to die."

Ragnar didn't respond. He knew it hadn't been intentional. They just hadn't found them.

The door opened and they looked inside. Seated around the room were about twenty-five children. The men stood there staring at them all for several moments in shock. If it wasn't for Ragnar, this children would have slowly died.

Trent pulled his phone out of his pocket and called his Beta for extra vehicles, medical staff, and first aid care. The men began to move among the children slowly, reassuring them and asking questions.