Chapter 27

Ragnar felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and pulled it out. He was relieved to see a text from Talia and even more so when he saw that she wanted him to call her when he had time. Be safe.

He smiled. Always. I'll call you as soon as I can.

Surprisingly, she texted him right back. I'll be watching for it  followed by a smiley emoji.

'Well she can't be rejecting me if she's sending smileys, can she?' He breathed a small sigh of relief. He hadn't wanted to think the worst, but it had been hard not to.

Rollo laughed. 'Probably not. Let's get this done so we can go home to her and our pup.'

His phone vibrating again made him pull it back out. Ragnar, I'm so glad it's you. He smiled as he realized what she meant. She was happy he was her mate.

'Told ya she just needed some time,' Rollo chortled.

Ragnar rolled his eyes. 'Since when did you become an expert on women?'

Alpha Trent glanced over at Ragnar. "We're almost there, Beta. It's just ahead."

"Good," he responded. He could tell the Alpha thought they were wasting their time, but something told him and Rollo there was more there. Something they were missing. He'd also learned to follow his instincts. They rarely led him wrong

Trent had brought two trackers and a few warriors, who followed along in another vehicle. Eric was also with them, while the Beta and the Alpha's son had been left behind at the pack house.

They pulled up to a large sprawling warehouse and stopped.

Ragnar looked out the window, studying the place for a moment. "Wait here," he said, as he opened the door. He wanted to make sure no rogues had returned to the warehouse that might ambush Lone Star Pack members.

"Do you think that's a good idea?" Eric asked, ready to get out and help the Royal Beta.

"Let him go," Trent stopped Eric, watching Ragnar look around.

Eric looked back at him incredulously but didn't question him.

Ragnar walked slowly into the warehouse and stopped, scenting the air for a few moments before walking back outside. He motioned for everyone else to follow him in.

The men walked in and stood around waiting for orders.

"We've searched this entire place already," Trent informed him.

Ragnar stood there, carefully scenting the air. "Did you pick up on the fact that your daughter was here?"

Trent frowned and scented the air himself. He couldn't smell her. "When?"

"Probably before the raid went down," he muttered as he began to walk slowly through the building. He stopped in a room that contained several beds and looked around. Trent was right behind him. "Her scent is the strongest in this room. She was mated in here."

Trent sighed. "At the moment, I just want her to be safe."

"She wasn't here when you raided the place?" Ragnar asked again.

Trent shook his head. "I wish she had been so I'd know she's okay."

Ragnar walked out of the room and walked through the rest of the building.

'Always the same scents. If they were trafficking humans, it wasn't here,' Rollo said quietly. 'Let me check it out.'

Ragnar glanced at the Alpha. "I'm going to shift. Something is off."