Chapter 17

It had taken a bit of convincing before Daniel had finally agreed to Talia getting a job. He'd been concerned about her mental health, but she assured him that this would be good for her. He'd been kind enough to supply her with a car, and it hadn't taken much for Talia to become employed.

She'd also had to find someone to watch Matthew, who now had a few sitters. Charlotte and Caleb would keep him a few nights, while Jenna's dad, Mitch would keep him one night. She had agreed to work four nights a week, and needed a babysitter for one more night.

She lay in bed, staring at her phone, waiting for a response from Ragnar. She hadn't seen him the last few days. He'd flown out to Mexico on business. She'd really missed him, much more than she cared to admit. He'd returned tonight, or so Caleb had told her, and she'd just texted him. She'd wanted to text him while he'd been gone, but she wasn't sure if she should.

Hi. Came the reply a moment later.

Are you back?

Yes. Just got in about an hour ago.

Talia bit her lip. She wanted to see him badly. She glanced over at Matthew, whom she'd just put to bed for the night, then glanced at her clock. 9pm. It was later than she thought. Perhaps she should just wait until tomorrow.

Wanna go for a night run?

The message made her smile, glad he had solved the delima for her. Yes that would be nice.

Meet me out back in ten?

Talia bit her lip, wondering if Charlotte would care. When it came to Ragnar, she always encouraged Talia to go, so she doubted it.

She stood and slipped out of her room. Caleb and Charlotte were cuddled together on the couch. "Do you guys mind if I go out and meet Ragnar? Matthew is down for the night, and shouldn't wake up."

"Just bring us the baby monitor," Charlotte said, flashing her a smile.

Talia walked back into her room and texted Ragnar back. See you then. She slipped into her closet and grabbed her jacket and slipped it on, then grabbed the baby monitor. She walked back out and sat it on the table. "Thank you so much, Charlotte."

Charlotte smiled at her and waved. "Go have fun."

"You can go out from our room if you want," Caleb told her.

"Okay." She walked back through their room and out the French doors.

The night was perfectly clear and bright, the full moon shining overhead, lighting up the backyard and woods beyond. It was cool out though, and Talia was glad she'd brought a jacket.

She walked down the steps to the lower level, watching for Ragnar. She knew where his apartment was, but he was no where to be seen.

Talia walked over to a bench and sat down, waiting for him. She couldn't wait to see him. She'd missed him a lot, more than she wanted to admit.

She heard him a few moments later, and stood, watching him come down from his own steps. He walked across the yard to her and she saw his eyes glow a few times.

She wanted to hug him. She wanted to.. she stopped herself. "Hi," she called.

"Hi." He stopped a few feet away from her.

"How was Mexico?" She took her time looking him over, aware that he was doing the same to her. While she knew he traveled for the pack, this was the first time he'd done so since she'd been there.

"Warmer than it is here." Ragnar couldn't take his eyes off of her, and was very aware that she was looking him over as well. He'd missed her so much, and was annoyed that he couldn't just pull her into his arms and kiss the breath out of her.