Chapter 34

Cora woke the next morning feeling refreshed for a change. Sleeping on the hard ground in the cold dark underground room had been miserable. She'd been chained up the entire time, unable to lower her arms. They had taken her shirt and bra the first day she'd been there and she'd been cold more often than not. She barely got any food while she was down there. She hoped she was safe now.

She glanced around the room, looking for the time, and spotted a clock hanging in the kitchen. It was almost noon. Her eyes widened in surprise that she herself had slept that late. She wondered if Ragnar was still asleep but didn't dare go find out.

She lay there, staring up at the ceiling. How long would she be able to stay at Regal Eclipse? How long until Jasper stopped chasing after her? She knew he hadn't given up on her. Even with Ragnar's threats, he'd still chase her down. She had a feeling they only way she would be safe is if he was dead. Or if she had a mate who could keep her safe.

Given what she'd gone through at the hands of those rogues, she wasn't sure she wanted to find her mate. Jasper had tried to take her virginity once, but he'd been stopped, and she was glad the rogues hadn't taken it either. They'd wanted to, but their leader had forbidden it, which had surprised her. But it hadn't stopped them from using her mouth. Even now, she felt sick from it. She got up and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth again.

The bedroom door opening pulled her out of her thoughts, and she looked up to see Ragnar standing there staring at her with his intense gaze. The man had the bluest eyes she'd ever seen. He was too handsome, she thought. His mate was lucky.

"You're still here?" He asked.

"I just woke up." She hoped he wasn't angry with her.

"Well, it's almost time for lunch, so let's go get something to eat," he disappeared towards the living room.

Cora swallowed hard. Now she'd find out her fate with this pack.

The dining hall wasn't very full when they got down there and Cora let herself look around as she followed Ragnar to the buffet line.

"Afternoon Ragnar," said a pretty brunette.

"Afternoon Bri. This is Cora. She's going to be staying with us for a bit," Ragnar grabbed two plates and handed one to her.

"She needs a place to stay?" Bri asked curiously.

Cora felt her cheeks turn red as she avoided looking at the woman and stared at the food.

"Yeah, but I'm going to talk to Daniel first," Ragnar told her.

Daniel was the king. She couldn't imagine speaking about him so casually.

"Does that boy know she's coming?" Brianna asked as she poured Ragnar a cup of coffee.

He gave her a look.

Brianna handed him the cup. "You're right. I know he does." She laughed. "Welcome to Regal Eclipse, Cora."

"Thank you Ma'am," Cora mumbled, forcing out a half smile. She wondered who that boy was. She followed Ragnar over to a table and sat down, watching as people began to enter the room. "Who's that boy?" She asked Ragnar.

He chuckled. "Daniel."

She stared at him in shock. "The Alpha King?"

"Brianna has known him his entire life. She's been in Regal Eclipse for a very long time," Ragnar said, nodding to some people that greeted him as they walked by.

Cora looked back over to Brianna. She hadn't thought the woman much older than herself. She lifted a bite of the pasta to her mouth and moaned with delight. "This is amazing."