Chapter 62

Ragnar stared out the window of the plane as it flew over the US. Vail Pack was in the process of healing after the execution of their previous Alpha and his sons had been carried out early that morning. They had all been up all night listening to story after story over Robert's treachery. No one in the pack was upset to see him or his sons go.

The overwhelming majority of the pack members that had spoken to Regal Eclipse had recommended that Aaron take over as Alpha and Daniel had bestowed the title on him before they'd left. Nick had stayed behind to help him step into his new role and would be checking on him quite frequently over the next year, and helping in any way needed.

Cora had also discovered Shelby in Austin's room. The poor she-wolf had been thoroughly traumatized by Austin. He'd used her to gain information about what was going on with Lone Star, hoping to stay ahead of their take down of his trafficking ring.

Poor Shelby had been tied up in Austin's bedroom where she'd been subject to both physical and sexual abuse. She said Austin had been kind to her until her father had taken down his rogues and stopped his lucrative business. Then he'd grown angry at her father and taken it out on her. The good thing was that he had never marked her, but it had been traumatic for her to have her own mate act so cruelly to her.

Ragnar had saw the look of relief across her face when she found out Austin was to be executed. He still felt bad for her. She'd been in a no-win situation, mated to a man who was cruel to her and then to have him killed would also be difficult for her to deal with. He hoped she made it through the next few months and didn't end up taking her own life. Hopefully her family would support her and keep her going

Regal Eclipse had dropped her off at home, where Daniel and Jenna had spent an hour informing Alpha Trent about everything that had happened. Trent was mostly just happy to have his daughter back, though Shelby was a shell of her former vibrant self.

Trent had invited them to stay for a late meal, and they had agreed before flying home. Lone Star was happy to host the Alpha King and Luna Queen together for the first time.

Jenna had been pleasantly surprised to see Elaine at the pack house, helping with the meal for Regal Eclipse. She'd met her on her first trip to Texas. Elaine had been kind to a very pregnant Jenna letting her sit and rest her feet.

The older woman had smiled at her, recognizing her immediately. "I knew there was something special about you."

"And you knew you'd see me again." Jenna laughed.

"How's that pup of yours?"

"Growing like a weed." She pulled out her phone to show Elaine a photo of Noelle.

"The future of all werewolves," Elaine murmured quietly, then looked up at Jenna. "But not in my lifetime."

Jenna frowned.

Elaine smiled. "She's beautiful. Good to see you again, Luna." She bowed her head and walked away.

Once they were back up in the air, Cora brought up what Alpha Robert had told her. "Daniel?" She felt weird calling him that, even though he'd told her she could.

He turned to look at her. The plane was subdued, quiet, and tired. "Cora?"

"Do you know who Alpha William Reed is?"

Everyone on the plane's head swung in her direction. She felt like hiding as all the attention was on her, but that was the old Cora. One thing excited her though. Apparently they all knew who he was.

"I do. Why?" Daniel asked her. He didn't seem tense at all, just tired, like they all were.

"I asked Alpha Robert why I was special, and he told me Alpha William Reed is my grandfather, and Justin Reed my father." She watched the men exchange glances and the surprise on their faces, before Daniel looked back at her.