Chapter 49

Daniel hadn't lost control in quite a while. He had almost lost it when Jason had kidnapped his daughter, but Jenna had been there to keep him calm. He needed her now, but she was a thousand miles away.

Rafe had full control now and was running for all he was worth. They were both furious about what had happened with Cora. He was angry with himself for not keeping a closer eye on her, but he was also proud of her for handling the situation, one that could have paralyzed her with fear if she had let it.

Now he had another pack to be concerned with, one that was involved in trafficking, and the future Alpha seemed to be heading the operation. For Austin to have disappearing for periods of time meant that Alpha Robert had to know something was up. Unless his son was lying to him, which he knew was also quite possible.

Daniel hated human trafficking with a passion and the laws he'd put into place were severe. Austin was living on borrowed time.

Rafe had decided to run back to the pack house, knowing the run would help them both. When they arrived, he let Daniel take over and he shifted as he walked up the steps.

The pack members looked up in surprise to see the Alpha King walking through their pack house naked and quickly bowed their heads. He walked into the suite of rooms and dressed, mind linking Ragnar that they were leaving.

Forty-five minutes later, they were on the plane and headed home. He'd gotten out of his seat as soon as he'd been able to, unable to sit still. Charlotte stood as well and walked over to him. She pulled him in her arms and hugged him.

He felt some of the tension release at his mother's touch. He leaned down, pressing his forehead against hers. I screwed up.

You can't blame this on yourself. Some things are out of your control. You're not God. You have to let it go. I know you have the weight of the world on your shoulders, but you're still only a man. A man I'm very proud of. You're a good King, Charlotte told him.

Some days, it sucks.

I know. She cupped his cheek. But you're still doing a good job. Sometimes I hate this for you, though.

He closed his eyes. Thanks Mom.

I don't care how old you are, you're still my pup, and I'm here for you. I'm also happy you found your mate. She's a good balance for you. I love you, Daniel.

He smiled at her. Love you too.

Charlotte kissed his forehead and stepped back from him. She walked back over to Caleb and sat down, letting him take her hand.

Daniel sat down next to Cora. "I'm sorry I let this happen to you."

Cora looked up at him in shock. The king was apologizing to her? And here she'd been blaming herself. "You cannot take the blame for this. I shouldn't have gone out in the back by myself. This is one hundred percent my fault."

"It still shouldn't have happened while you were with me," Daniel told her.

"Are you angry with me?" Cora asked him. She could still feel his aura seeping out, feel his anger.

His eyes widened. "No. Not at all. I'm angry at a lot of other people right now, but not you. I'm just glad you're okay. First twenty-four hours as my Gamma Female and something happens to you. You realize Elijah is going to come after me."

Cora cracked a smile. "I'll talk to him."

"Elijah and I grew up together. He's only a year younger than me. His father was my father's Beta. You're good for him," Daniel told her.