2.3 Part 2: A long Overdue Reunion

3rd person pov

Damon had just walked into Luna's home. Enzo was in his room having just finished unpacking.

Enzo heard the door open, believing it to be Luna, he made his way to the living room to greet her. But when he got there, he saw the one person he did not expect to see.

It was Damon.

Damon and Enzo caught each other's gaze. Neither of them spoke a single word. Their voice caught in their throats. Neither being able to speak a single word.

After so long they have finally reunited. After so much suffering both have gone through after what happened that night. Enzo believes Damon left him like it was nothing. Damon believed him to be dead all this time.

But that was never the case. All because of Luna. She was the one who saved Enzo. She was the one who told him about Damon turning off his humanity that terrible day, and how he believed Enzo to be dead. She was the one to tell Damon about Enzo being alive. They both were more than grateful to her, more than words could express.

After all this time. Finally, they have reunited. Both hearts are still filled with so much love for the other. Words could not describe what they both felt at this moment.

"Enzo." The voice of Damon could be heard speaking in a mere whisper. His voice sounded broken as if he was speaking the name of someone long lost. But it wasn't far from the truth. For 70 years he had believed Enzo to be gone. As he spoke his name, all those emotions could be heard in his voice.

"Damon." Enzo's voice spoke in a whisper. He could not believe his eyes. After all this time. Damon was here. He knew he was in town since Luna had told him. But he thought it would be days, maybe even weeks before they were to meet again. Not mere hours after he arrived.

"I'm sorry," Damon spoke, breaking their silence. "I shouldn't have shut off my humanity that day and run away. I should have looked for you. But Enzo, please understand I thought you were dead. Instead of spending that time to see if you were truly gone, I spend that time mourning you. I thought I would never see you again." Damon started ranting, thinking that Enzo hated him. Damon didn't know what to say, so he said the only thing he could say. "I'm sorry."

Tears were streaming down Damon's eyes as he gazed upon Enzo. His heart filled with love at Enzo's presence. But it was also filled with pain. He remembered what it felt like when he thought Enzo was dead. How to felt like his whole world had gone with him.

He remembered how his humanity constantly turned itself on and off all the time. The only time his humanity was off was when he was busy with something. But the moment he was alone, it switched on, filling him with an unbearable sadness, consuming him. Making him wish for death. Not only so he could stop hurting, but in hopes of reuniting with Enzo in the afterlife.

That's why he was so hellbent on getting into the tomb so he could kill Katherine. All so he didn't have to think about him. But also to make the past right. Katherine had stolen something from him. His happiness. Damon has always liked men and women. This made it easier to hide his secret from his father and others.

Back in 1864, Damon was in a secret relationship with a man named Jack Huge. They met in secret and were in love. But when Katherine came to town, she wanted both the Salvatores. When she tried to get with Damon he rejected her instantly. She was furious. She learned from compelling him that he was with someone else. She compelled Damon to break up with Jack, compelled away his love for Jack. But that wasn't enough for her, so she killed him, she killed Jack.

Back then because of the compulsion he did not care for Jack's death. But when he turned the compulsion was no more. He was filled with rage and grief.

Enzo simply looked at him, an unreadable emotion on his face. When Damon had left him to die in the fire, his heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Ever since he wished that the fire had taken him out. When he had learned from Luna that Damon only did that since his humanity was off. He felt something he had not felt in so long. Hope.

Hope that he could one day reunite with Damon, and be happy again.

"I know Damon," Enzo told him. "When Luna saved me, she told me about what really happened that day when you escaped."

At this moment Damon had never been more grateful towards Luna. Tears were streaming down both their faces.

"I thought you left me to die because you never really cared," Enzo spoke again, his voice breaking as he tried to compose himself. "I thought you didn't love me, that all we had was a lie. Something for you to pass the time with."

"No. Enzo I loved you more than anything. I still do. Please don't ever think otherwise." Damon quickly explained, not wanting Enzo to ever believe what he just said.

"What was I suppose to think Damon?" Enzo asked him hurt. "You left like it was nothing. I saw the light in your eyes leave as you looked at me. There was no emotion behind your eyes. I didn't know what to believe Damon." Enzo explained to him, tears streaming down his face once more.

"I didn't mean for my humanity to turn off. When I looked at you in the fire, something inside me snapped. It was like I was watching you die there and then. I couldn't handle the thought of you dead, so my brain instantly just turned it off, not being able to handle those emotions." Damon explained to him, hoping for him to understand he didn't mean for it to happen.

"Do you still love me?" Enzo asked him.

"Of course I do. More than anything in this world." Damon quickly answered him.

"How can I be sure, you will not leave me again?" Enzo asked him, his voice breaking as he spoke.

"Because I will give you the world. There is nothing that is more important to me than you. I knew it since before the fire. After that day nothing matters to me. I was dead inside. I wanted to die, just to end my suffering. I can't live my life, knowing you are here, and not with me. I can't live without you." Damon spoke with tears in his eyes. Both have shed more tears now than they have ever before.

"You promise?" Enzo asked him, his voice low.

"I promise," Damon answered instantly.

Enzo made his way to Damon, both meeting in a long-needed hug. Even from an outside perspective, you could tell the amount of emotions they held. All the love and hate, fear and happiness they have ever felt since the fire happened, all of it was shown in this hug.

They separated slightly, still in each other's embrace. Doing the one thing they have wanted to do since they saw one other. Without speaking a word, both leaned into one another. Meeting in a gentle yet passionate kiss.

As their lips collided, the world seemed to stop. The kiss was filled with all the love they held for one another. It was gentle, yet firm. Intense, yet passionate.

It was everything.