Chapter 28: Flames

As the Australian Grand Prix ramps up, Jungkook sits with Yoongi and Jimin. They came to surprise Taehyung after the race. Jungkook is beyond happy they are with him. He knows that Taehyung will be excited and will talk to Jimin for hours.

"I have missed this!" Jimin squeals and bounces in his seat. "I need a drink to calm down."

Yoongi fondly watches as Jimin drinks his beer in one go. "Mini, do you want another one?" Yoongi softly asks as Jimin sets his bottle down.

"I think I am good." Jimin smiles and reaches his hand out to hold Yoongi's hand. "Oh, Jungkook, did Tae seem upset about the social media post?"

"He liked the picture and saved it while he was ranting about someone disrespecting our privacy." Jungkook chuckles and shakes his head as he remembers Taehyung saving the picture with a cute pout on his beautiful face.

"He is quite adorable." Jimin softly smiles and turns his attention to the race.

As they watch the race, they notice that Camila is putting up a fierce fight and is in third place at the moment. They know that Camila is under pressure to perform better than Cole.

"What is going on?" Jungkook mutters when he notices the driver in second place suddenly swerves.

Before anyone can react, the driver in second suddenly rams straight into Taehyung's car. Taehyung grips the steering wheel as he is rammed into. He holds his breath and tries to get away from the other vehicle, but he is being pushed across the track toward the barrier.

Jungkook chokes on a sob as he watches in absolute horror as his love's car is rammed into the barrier and tangles with the metal barrier. A strangled cry fills the room when Taehyung's car suddenly engulfs in flames. Jungkook struggles to breathe as he watches the flames engulfing his lover's car. For him, the entire world has stopped and is crashing down around him.

Everyone watches and waits, but when there is no sign of the flames being tamed by the rescue team, everyone feels a chill course through their bodies. When Jungkook sees how people are resigning to accept that Taehyung will not be escaping the wreck alive, he clenches his fists and grits his teeth. Tae promised me. He promised. We will grow old together. "He promised." Jungkook tearily whispers as Jimin engulfs him in a tight hug.

"And he never breaks his promises. It's not over." Jimin tightens his embrace around Jungkook as they watch the flames.

As Seokjin watches in horror, he can feel the silence ringing around him. He gasps and chokes on his breath as he struggles to breathe. Namjoon's voice is distant as his lover desperately tries to calm him down. Namjoon tightens his grip on his lover as he tries to keep Seokjin from hyperventilating.

Taehyung's head rings as he gasps for air. He grunts and struggles to get out of the burning vehicle. As he pushes, he cries out and fights. Tears stream down his face as he struggles to escape the burning metal trap. "I promised. I promised him." He cries as the flames roar around him. "Jungkook! I made a promise!" He shouts as his hands burn from pushing on the burning metal. "I fucking promised!" He sobs and pushes harder.

When Taehyung emerges from the flames, Jungkook sobs and collapses to the floor of the VIP box. Jungkook's body trembles as he watches Taehyung limp away with the help of the medics. "He's alive. My Tae is alive." He cries as Jimin holds him to comfort him.

As Taehyung limps away from the fire, he grunts in pain. "Sir, are you sure that you want to walk to the ambulance?" A medic asks Taehyung as his face contorts with pain.

"I am sure. I have to let my family know that I am okay." Taehyung mutters and looks up at the drone filming the scenario. "What about the other driver? Are they okay?" Taehyung asks as the medics help him sit in the ambulance.