14. The Path Of Honour

Yush dives in with the greatsword high, instantly covering the distance.

*BANG!!*

I disappear before his sword touches me.

!

Yush quickly pulls his sword and swings it around when he feels a presence behind him. I dart back and zap in.

"Ngh!"

My speed puts my blade at his neck.

"H-How..." Yush mumbles.

I look at Kaine and he smiles. "Number Seven's winner, Loi Krist!"

It was an incredibly fast match. Yush only lasted five seconds.

Yush drops to the floor, staring at the ground.

I put my hand on his shoulder. "You have impressive strength and speed for a greatsword wielder. However, you put too much power into your swings. Hence, hindering your recovery and reaction. Try practising 'pulling back' when you slash."

Yush gazes at my hand on his shoulder and looks away, not uttering a word.

I witness Sir Reginald's reaction. His mouth is wide open as he springs from his seat.

"What was what?"
"I blinked and it was over?! So quickly?"
"Maybe Yush isn't as strong as he seems."
"You try fighting Yush then."

My rapid match attracted the attention of everyone in the arena. Be it envy or respect, this is the first glimpse of a rising star nobody will forget.

Nobles in the arena glare at me with clenched fists; Their pride is wounded by an insignificant individual.

When I get back to my seat, Reginald appears beside me.

"Cadet Krist," He says.

"Good afternoon, Sir Reginald," I lower my head.

"...Follow me."

He climbs the stairs to the space behind the top row of seats and turns to me.

"Explain that footwork," He says.

As expected, he recognises it.

"It's a footwork that uses the premise of your footwork but theoretically different."

"I know that! Explain the difference!"

"It's a rabbit. The hopping of a rabbit inspired the movements."

!

Reginald frowns. "Who taught it to you?"

...

"My apologies, I'm the creator."

"What?! But I never taught you my footwork!"

"I...learnt from observing," I say. It's true although it took me years to understand even the premise just by observing.

Reginald steps back and freezes. "O-Observing?!" He exclaims.

...

"H-Hahahaha!!" His laugh trembles across the arena.

"Loi Krist."

"Yes sir."

"I heard you are participating in the tournament two months from now. Do you understand what you are getting yourself into?"

"I do, sir, and I don't intend to back off."

Reginald stares at me and sighs. "I will say it straight to you. I don't support your growth. Although talent is admirable, I cannot ignore status and power."