29. Prize Ceremony

"How should I address you?" Julius asks.

I raise my brow. "Normally. Why is a Prince asking a commoner that?"

"R-Right..." Visible sweat drips.

"Prince, I need you to prepare a new identity, mask, and outfit if possible."

Julius understands where I'm going with this. It will be troublesome if people find out about my support, especially after becoming the talk of the century and when countless organizations aim to rope me in.

"Yes, this conversation has never happened. Is there anything you need?" Julius pulls out a small notebook and pen.

"Mana elixirs, anything that can give you energy, and body strengthening potions," Morja says in my head.

I repeat Morja's words, albeit unsure why body-strengthening potions. Such medicine overloads the body's capability for temporary strength. Frequent use can damage one's muscles and cause high fatigue.

"Noted. May I know your plans moving forward?"

"I will be leaving for the army. Those powerhouses are desperate to recruit me but I won't join any. With that said, they will destroy something they can't get, thus, I will leave an illusion of opportunity. Under the guise of collecting more achievements, I will join the army. Why is none of your business." I say.

Most will not object to my decision. It gives them time to observe my full worth and figure out my background.

"What about you?" I ask Julius.

"Have you heard of the Ore Scandal recently? Several mining operations were halted after they provided fake ores to authorities as tax. Coincidentally, one of my older brother's main income comes from there." Julius waves his hand. An apple magically appears in his palm. "Create something from nothing."

"Oh?"

The mining operations were clean until Julius' sabotage is what Julius is saying.

"Anyways, three months from now, it will be my father...the emperor's birthday. A royal banquet celebrating the event will take place yet underneath the joyous atmosphere is a display, a  display of power from all princes. I need your help."

I nod.

This is the true beginning.

=================

A few days after my recovery, the prize ceremony commences at the main plaza of the capital. Results of the tournament are released to the public, causing an uproar of surprise from the majority that didn't attend the competition. It is the first time in history for the top participants to be of commoner origins.

Streets to the plaza buzz with anticipation as a sea of eager onlookers gather, their hushed murmurs creating an undercurrent of rumours and excitement. Colourful banners flutter in the breeze alongside the national royal banner, displaying the heraldry of noble houses. A towering platform, adorned with rich fabrics and royal insignia, provides an elevation for all to see.  Knights in shining armour stand in disciplined formation, their swords upright, ready to salute the approaching royal family.

"Salute to his majesty! Long live the king!" The knights shout in unison upon the arrival of a regal presence. King Gorgan Vi Linux Regance commands attention as he walks with imposing dignity. With flowing golden hair that cascades in waves to the shoulders and striking yellow eyes, his strong jawline and demeanour strike a balance of strength and grace. Draped in opulent robes adorned with intricate embroidery, he stands as a formidable and charismatic ruler.

Behind him follows the royal family and respective representatives of each house. In particular, the lady of the Nelson family, an elderly woman dressed in a cloak of deep indigo, moves with a calculated elegance that belies her age. Her weathered face marked by unwavering pride possesses flowing white hair, penetrating azure eyes, and bold blue lipstick. Julius stands alongside his four siblings, three brothers and one sister.

They step onto the platform and stand in attention behind the king as he descends into the royal chair. The crowd falls into a reverent silence, awaiting the proclamation.

"Noble subjects and honoured guests, today we gathered to celebrate the valour and achievements of the younger generation. I extend my heartfelt congratulations to the gallant victors. May the camaraderie forged on this noble field endure, and may the victories celebrated today echo through the annals of our kingdom's history!"

From the bottom, the top five winners are called forward to receive their prize.

When it's Mina's spotlight, she walks before the platform and gets down on one knee, resting her arm on the raised knee. "I greet the king."

"In the spirit of chivalry and nobility, you have demonstrated not only skill with a blade but also the strength of character that befits a radiant warrior. For your accomplishment, you are granted ten gold coins and the Cape of Knights!"

"Next, Cadet Loi Krist."

I step forward and kneel on one leg. "I greet the emperor!"

"That's him."
"A legend that came out of nowhere."
"He split the barrier in the arena! It was amazing!"

The king's gaze, deep and piercing, stares into my soul. Never in my life will I think of this situation yet here I am, proudly in front of the emperor.

"Valiant warrior, in the presence of your exceptional prowess on the battlefield, I stand humbled and elated. As sovereign of this kingdom, I am privileged to witness such unparalleled skill, and I extend my sincerest commendations." He says, oddly praising my abilities too much. "For that, I grant you twenty gold coins, the Armour of Dragons, and five hours in the Academy's Archive."

!!!!!!

What is he doing? The extent of the reward is too large.

"I am honoured but such rewards are wasted on a newborn. I fear others may find it inappropriate," I say.

"Fret not, such are my words and grace." King Gorgan says.

Fuck! This man is deliberately targeting me! I can already feel the glares from the noble households yet I can't reject it...

"Lastly, Cadet Mina, please step forward."

She joins me.

"Both have shown incredible prowess befitting of experts. Hence, I will bestow both of you with the Proof of Mastership."

A knight walks to us and hands us a small golden badge carved with the kingdom's sigil. This is proof that we have attained the Master Realm of Swordsmanship.

"I thank the king! Long live the king! Long live the empire!" Mina and I say in unison.

=================================

Merry Christmas to all my readers!

-STakeshi, 2023

[Christina Krist wishing you a merry Christmas]