36. Buried In Time

"RARRRGHHHH!!"

Two hobgoblins, one with a shield and sword and the other with a club, bash their weapons down.

*BOOOOM!!*

A shadow zaps behind one hobgoblin, decapitating it. The second hobgoblin swings its club at the corpse, smashing it to bits in an attempt to kill me. Unfortunately, the last thing it sees is a tip at a glimpse.

*BAM!*

My thrust blows its head off.

*THUD!*

I land beside puddles of red and severed limbs.

Huff huff...

"How...many are there...?" I mumble.

I've lost track of how long I've been wandering the cave. The most rest I get is ten minutes before another group of goblins appear. As time goes by, the stronger the assailants.

...I can only move forward.

I walk deeper into the cave, blind to directions.

After what felt like an eternity of winding tunnels, I step foot in a vast chamber big enough to be a giant's home. My body freezes in place at the remarkable sight presented beyond. A civilisation long forgotten emerges with the scattering illumination of small flickers.

What might be the remnants of an ancient kingdom was submerged in the dark, frozen in time. Crumbling structures of columns and ornate arches greet me at the entrance.

The dark void hinders my view; I can't see how big this place is. Regardless, I step down the stairs, chipped and broken.

*Tap tap tap*

I rely on my senses to traverse the dark, every step sending vibration scouts.

The smell of blood from various locations attacks my nose.

...

It's...probably a few days old.

Suddenly, a rain of arrows zooms towards me. The countless metal tips clash and pierce the rocks, seamlessly as if no one was there.

One of the goblins stares at the void, perplexed as it scratches its head. The next second, it finds a blade through its throat.

"Kah..."

The continuous gasps of death echo all across the surrounding terrain down the stairs. Each goblin falls prey to their complacent.

My journey ventures deeper into the dark. Soon, I walk across the hole in a decaying wall and come across decrepit ruins marred by time. Darkness prevented thorough inspection but subtle signs betrayed the clandestine occupant. A tattered blanket draped over a makeshift bed of rubble and silverware littered the compound.

Checking other buildings yields similar results, the goblins were using this sanctuary.

"KYAHH!!"

I spin my body to catch a sneaky goblin and plunge it into the ground. Its companions jump out of the shadows to meet a flash of blue that butchers them into green mince meat.

I sigh at the repeating cycle of attacks as I sheathe my sword. It's getting annoying. I turn to look at the weathered castle at the end, a silent sentinel of once grandeur, the brightest illumination amidst the void.

No doubt as a mercenary, I've explored dungeons or ruins for a shot at fortune. Fortunately, that built experience and navigation. Most abandoned cities have an alternate secret exit located in residence in royalties.

...

Getting close to the castle sends chills down my spine but it may be my ticket out. I arrive at the gate hanging askew on rusted hinges. Lit by magic lanterns and glowing crystals, broken and eroded statues stand within the courtyard.

The entrance, eroded with time, collapsed. Finding my way around the castle reveals a pile of rubbles leading to the echoing labyrinth. Neglected chambers and halls of decay and tatters accompany me once inside. I go where the hallway takes me. A large grand hall lies a desolate expanse of broken furniture and shattered life. Tattered tapestries hang in threadbare disarray, their vibrant colour faded to muted shades of grey. I carry the burning lantern on the wall, emitting eerie illumination from its blue flames.

I search the room for any secret passage. From the looks of things, a banquet was well underway before whatever disaster struck. Surprisingly enough, there are no traps laid considering the goblins took refuge here.

I move the lantern to a torn painting on the floor. Fading silhouettes of several figures stand together in fancy clothing, commemorating whatever occasion. The only recognisable detail was a woman's face and hair.

"Red hair like fire and azure blue eyes like gems..." I mumble.

She...seems familiar.

Why...?

...

Ah...she...looks like Mina when her hair burns in flames.

Is this a coincidence?

...

Come to think of it, I don't know anything about Mina.

...

I sigh and shake the thought off.

"Focus Loi..." I mumble to myself.

Finding nothing of importance, I proceed to the end of the room and find another hallway. Through empty halls and down winding staircases, a chamber of broken or saggy shelves scattered haphazardly.

I glance at a few books written in a familiar language. Flipping through the page describes the bestiary of common monsters and different regions outside of human territory. Another book talks about basic technology created with engineering and magic, especially in the mining industry.

...

An underground kingdom...mining industry...familiar language.

This place...may not be as "ancient" as I thought. What happened here for it to be buried in history?

Ugh...

Thinking of it yields nothing, stop getting distracted, Loi.

Finding no exit in the library, I continue onwards into the hallway. Searching bedchambers, storages, and even dining areas proves futile. My search leads me to my final destination: The Throne Room. It stands as a witness to bygone splendour, its grandeur now faded with blood painted across the ground. Ripped banners hang limply from the vaulted ceiling, the proud emblem barely discernible beneath the veil of time.

At the far end of the chamber, atop a dais of crumbling marble, sits a bright golden crown in a pile of bones.

The smell of decay and corpses fills the air.

My eyes dart left and right. Aside from rot, I sense nothing off.

Until...

I jump back as something smashes down from above. The impact reverberates through the chamber like a thunderclap, raining clouds of dirt. The ground cracks beneath the force, fissures spiderwebbing like fractures in glass.

A giant fully geared in armour pulls out the massive axe in the ground, its eyes bloodshot and murderous.

"RRRRAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!" It roars.