21. Something Wrong

Uncomfortable suffocation runs through my body. In my meditative position, I channel mana continuously around my body and push wasteful particles to my fingertips. Bit by bit, I expel all impurities in my body, allowing smooth mana circulation.

I put my hand out. Black goo drips from my fingers into the dirt below.

"Phew..."

Orange and yellow hue paints the sky. Topless, my brawny physique is flawless. It would normally take me several years of hard work to get this...

I swipe the shirt hung on a branch nearby and wear it.

I stare at my palm. I've done all I can to improve, albeit with a lagging start.

My fist clenches and throws a powerful punch into the ground, exploding surrounding nature away as they buckle and fold up. The shockwave unleashed reverberates through the air, scattering widespread destruction and altering the landscape.

...

My opponents are geniuses with abundant resources. I cannot underestimate them.

My return to my home immediately routes to the well behind. Every splash of water from the bucket feels like heaven.

"Loi!" My father appears from the cabin with two men. "Let me introduce the both of you to my son. This is Loi Krist."

The two men have similar physiques to each other and are slightly shorter than my father. One has striking crimson hair cascading in loose waves while the other opts for short and messy hair. Their piercing blue eyes gleam with goodwill, framed by strong and chiselled features.

The man with short and messy hair greets me. "Hello! You can call me Eric and my brother beside me Kasler."

"Yes, nice to meet you, Sir Eric and Sir Kasler." I bow at both of them.

"Haha! Drop the formalities. We are from a fallen household and brothers of your father." says Kasler.

"Then...Uncle Kasler?" I say.

He nods. "Mhm, that's good. Anyways, we've come to witness your battles. Don't worry too much about your family, we are here to protect them just in case anyone tries something."

*WHOOSH!*

I catch a ball about to hit me behind.

"Woah! Loi bro caught it!" Mane exclaims as he peeks from the cabin's corner.

"I told you, our brother is the strongest in the capital!" Lee says.

"Yes yes..." My mother says to my brothers. Christina hides behind her legs and glances at Uncle Kasler and Eric.

"Greetings ma'am." they greet my mother.

"Hello! We will be in your care."

The competition takes place at the academy. During the event, a total transformation turns the vicinity into a festival. Many important figures from all over Darto will be participating, igniting anticipation among many people.

The stale training patch beside the large castle turns into a paradise for gourmets and merchants alike.

...

I'm possibly the only unaffiliated participant.

I bid my farewell after breakfast with my family.

Arrival in the capital fills the atmosphere with excitement as people on the streets transform into a parade. Vibrant noisy outbursts sprout from every corner and the sea of humans only occasionally splits to let carriages through. I squeeze through sweat and body before I give up, resorting to the rooftop. As I jump to the roof, several masters have the same idea as me.

This is the only time regular commoners are allowed entrance into the top section. Food stalls offer tantalizing aromas from an array of delights and performers captivate onlookers with magic displays or acrobatic dances.

At the academy, I can hear energetic tunes intertwining with the excited chatter melody of the crowd. Vendors peddle trinkets and souvenirs, their stalls adorned with sparkling lights.

A long table at the entrance of the academy holds several lines of people and workers behind. They process the visitors' purpose and identity before letting them in. I wait for some time until the line passes.

Influential carriages or figures cut the queue when personnel rush to and greet them politely, attempting to curry favour with superiors.

My turn comes and the female personnel asks "Any identification document?". I place a scroll on the table. She checks it and nods.

"Purpose?"

I take out the envelope given by Sir Kaine.

!

"Ah...Good sir, which group are you affiliated with?" she suddenly changes her tone.

"Unfortunately none," I reply with a harmless smile.

Her expression freezes. "Oh...you are...ahem...this is your challenger plate and number." She then guides me to a secluded lounge atop the arena auditorium. One giant transparent glass takes up one side of the room for precise sight of the battlefield below. A couch stands alone with a table for comfort.

I collapse onto the couch and let out a long sigh. It feels odd, foreign, and distant like I'm dreaming about this moment. Anxiety has never popped into my head. My mind feels clear and...calm. I realise this is the effect of the new skill.

Time passes and the arena fills up with spectators. I can see several lounges opposite mine, all connected with a long circular hallway, although unable to see through the glass.

With the pulsating beats of cheers echoing through the colossal arena, a master of ceremonies steps into the spotlight on the battlefield. A gentleman in a sleek black suit adorned with a luminescent accent that resonates with the crowd.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the fifth tournament of Darto's rising stars. Are you ready to witness a true battle of history?"

The crowd responds with an explosive cheer, their enthusiasm bursting my eardrums.

"I said are you READY?!"

"YEAH!!" The energy intensifies, creating a palpable buzz.

They tried their best to sell this event huh...

"Tonight, we have many epic proportions ahead, with jaw-dropping clashes, heart-stopping actions, and eternal glory that will last a lifetime! But here's the deal, we are not simply spectators, we are witnesses to greatness and passion by god's will! When the battles begin, I want you to carve every single moment into your memory. Let's make this an unforgettable honour! Are you ready to make history?"

Everyone erupts in a thunderous roar in response to the brilliant speech. The MC, now bathed in the energy of thousands, smiles and bows.

...

I grasp my chest.

Excitement? Why do I...feel thrilled?

A sinister smile sneaks onto my face. The thought of beating someone up delights my soul.

...

Something is wrong.