40. True Menace

I describe what I found after the battle to the villagers' elders and my team while the villagers clean up the aftermath.

"An underground civilisation?! Is it Vanriem?" One of the older elders asks.

I scratch my head. "I'm not sure what it was called but it dealt with mining and had rich festival culture."

The elder widens his eyes. "It's Vanriem! I remember!"

I furrow my brow and rest my head on my knuckles. "I see...may I know more about Vanriem?"

"Certainly, twenty-four or five years ago, it was commemorating a royal's birthday. Many important figures and influential talents attended the occasion, it was a hot topic amongst people. However, Vanriem mysteriously disappeared along with all its locals and guests. The entrance to Vanriem turns into a normal grass patch and no one noted seeing it till today." The elder says.

I see...that might be the work of the goblin. The kingdom's defence mechanism involves ancient and deliberate space-time magic that can alter physical embodiment. Most of my questions are answered.

I write a report to my father about the mission and soon receive a reply asking us to stay in the village as certain organisations arrive to investigate. As a side note, my father asks me to cooperate and don't mind "their" demeanour for a quick and smooth process. I did not understand those words until I met those people two days later.

For the next two days, the villagers treated my squad and me with great care and respect. I started to learn more about what they do for a living and recognise various faces across the settlement.

But all great things come to an end, the arrival of three organizations marks that, The Holy Light, The Magic Tower of Research, and The Investigation of Affairs Alliance or IAA for short.

Affiliation with the IAA often disguises as ordinary people to investigate a variety of problems and pass on such information to its agent forces for minor issues and The Holy Light for dangerous missions.

However, my mood immediately dips when I hear the sound of galloping horses. With regal pride and piercing yellow eyes, two holy knights of striking identical appearance approach the village. The twins, one a female with intricate braids as her blonde hair cascades and the other a male with meticulous blonde locks, wear gleaming golden armour and wield swords of frightening poise. The symbol of The Holy Light imprints on their gears.

I'm not sure of the exact rankings but these twins have a high role among the holy knights as their father is the Guardian Knight, a warrior directly under The Father of Peace. In my past life, the brother was a notorious bigot who looked down on people without faith in the goddess he served. The sister wasn't any better in a weird way. She abhorred non-combatants like normal citizens and had an erratic obsession with strength.

Behind the twins are followers and the two other organisations.

"Oh...?"

My intensified vision pinpointed Mina in blue robes among the mages from that research tower. If my memory does not fail me, the discovery of Vanriem led to The Holy Light clearing out the goblins with mages of different magic towers. Mina negotiated afterwards, through many hardships, and seized ownership of the city ruins. Why? I don't know.

...

At the very back lies personnel of the IAA, each clad in a black beret and shoulder coat over their shirt.

As Issac stares at their approach beside me. I nudge him and show him a rock.

"Yes?" He asks.

"Try to grab this rock from me."

Issac raises his brow. He reaches out for my hand but something rejects him and sparks ignite, pulling his hand away. Information about Issac's appearance jams itself into my head.

Issac stumbles back from the impact.
"What? Huh?"

So the key works that way, if I don't want to transfer ownership, the anti-theft mechanism activates and alerts me.

"Sorry, thanks for the help," I say.

"N-No problem, sir?" Issac replies, scratching his head.

The twin brother, Cane Domenic, dismounts his horse and visibly gazes down at everything.

The sister, Aria Domenic, stares at the atmosphere.

"The air is thick with corruption." She says. I assume she means demonic mana because some residue still lingers in the air.

"This wouldn't happen if faith existed." Cane grumbles out loud.

He walks past my subordinates, glaring at each of them. They lower their gaze away. As I watch that, something boils within.

He goes to me and looks at me from head to toe, releasing intense pressure. Unaffected, he clicks his tongue and gives up.

"Guide me to Vanriem." He boldly orders me and walks off.

...

"Pfft, why should I?" I scoff, a pleasant smile widening on my face.

He stops in his tracks and glares back. "You-"

"BOOOOM!*

My hands abruptly push his shoulder down with overwhelming power, forcing him to his knees. Cane releases his aura but to no avail. With only a thin aura and raw strength, my oppression kills Cane's pride with embarrassment.

I lower myself to his ears. "Is that how you ask someone for help?"

He grits his teeth. Cane focuses his inner energy and channels something within. Bestowed divinity radiates from his form, enhancing his resistance.

"Laughable efforts."

*BOOM!*

My internal energy crushes his meagre attempt, sending him to the floor.

"ARGHHH!!"

The vibration impact ignores his knee guards and penetrates his muscles, possibly fracturing parts.

I grab his face and gaze deep into his eyes. He sees an abyss of fear and destruction, the illusion of death, and the tip of a sword. The mysterious blade pierces through his body yet something dispels the mirage but some damage is already done.

"UGH?!..." Cane groans. His body jolts from the sensation, trembling from the irreversible memory.

...

Interesting. Divinity from Faith can protect his soul, eliminating my sword intent.

At the corner of my glance, I notice Aria staring at me intensely, not blinking once, absorbing everything.

"I-I'm sorry...please show me the way to Vanriem," Cane says.

"Don't feel like it. You disrespected me and more importantly, my subordinates. Ever heard of mutual respect?"

"I-"

"Nice to meet you, I am Aria Domenic, a Grail Knight of The Holy Light." Aria steps up and introduces herself to Issac.

"Ah...Yes, I am Issac from The Thirteenth Squad of The Royal Army." Issac takes her hand and bows. Aria returns the bow.

She moves her introduction along with each of my subordinates before coming to me with a smile. "It's an honour to meet you, Champion Loi Krist, I am Aria Domenic."

...

I grab her hand. "Nice to meet you too..."

"I hope you don't mind my brother. He has anger issues. To be honest, I don't care what you do with him and I can compensate you for his rudeness."

"Aria! You damn bitch."

"Shut the fuck up." Her tone suddenly changes into a deep one.

"Now then, Sir Loi. Let's not waste any more time and go. You can lead the way, esteemed champion." She switches her gear back and says.

I let go of Cane.

"Ngh...ugh..." He falls to the ground, grasping his leg and shoulder.

"Alright," I reply to Aria.