32. Enlistment

-------------
One day later...
-------------

Under Sir Kaine's supervision, I took the graduation test alongside Mina, though I was surprised to find her here. The test consisted of both practical and theory, both of which I aced flawlessly as knowledge was a vital tool in war.

I wait with Mina in a room as our results are consolidated and discussed by instructors. She tried striking conversations but to no avail. In the end, we decided on mutual meditation to pass the time.

Sir Kaine enters the room sweating. Both Mina and I sit still on the couch awaiting his next words. He sighs and scratches his head. "My pride is hurt."

He places a golden badge that boasts a lustrous finish, radiating achievements. At its centre, the emblem of the academy takes prominence above our name carved.

Upon touching it, the badge disappears into our skin, imprinting the mark of a sword on my wrist.

"With this, both of your names are recorded in our graduation archive and leaderboards. Congratulations, warriors!" Sir Kaine draws his sword and bows. "Are you sure you don't want an official graduation parade?"

Both of us shake our heads.

"Oho?" A light voice chirps in my ears.

!

Mina and I turn around to see nobody. Looking back, we suddenly find a petite short girl emanating a vibrant energy with her long reddish-brown hair down, playfully held in two buns on either side of her head. Her eyes, a striking shade of red, stare into my soul. An undeniable strength radiates. Her grin slides, unsure if the intentions are mischievous, arrogant, or enthusiastic. Clad in regal attire adorned with intricate silver and gold embroidery, a long, flowing cloak billows behind.

Sir Kaine immediately gets to his knees with his sword up. "Greetings, Supreme Council!"

She is a council member?

"Bow." Sir Kaine whispers to us.

The girl waves her hand. "It's alright. I'm only here to check on the new generation. Let me introduce myself, I am Ashe Ignaros Kancer, The Eighth Council Member of the academy."

"Ah, I pay my respect, Council Member," I say and bow.

"Stop that, I'm not dead. What respect do I need?" Ashe says.

She glances at Mina and immediately appears behind her. Her hand caresses Mina's cheek.

!!

"I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable." Mina voices out.

"Okay okay! I can't touch the royal family's property, can I?"

...

I can't get a full grasp on Ashe's behaviour. Despite her childlike act, her eyes scrutinise both of us from head to toe. She seems to have some grudge against the royalty.

"Be careful Loi! She has a cultivation! And she most likely noticed your cultivation base too!" Morja abruptly warns me.

!!!

I stay rigid with no signs of change.

She shows no hostility. I estimate a high chance she is here to inspect a cultivator she detected nearby to decide her next move.

"Anyways, both of you have interesting referrals! I look forward to your achievements." Her smile widens. "Truthfully."

And Ashe disappears without a trace. The pressuring atmosphere disappears.

...

She could kill me within seconds. The current me is still too weak.

I throw a look at Mina. She tries to stay composed but I sense deep hatred in her eyes.

====================

In a remote private land lies a camp of the royal army. Surrounded by barriers of illusion mirroring the parameter foliage, knights train and sleep under divine protection. My father's rank and my title made me eligible as an official knight, skipping the dreaded squire rank.

Elevated walkways spiral across the trees, blending with the lush environment and connecting the various sections of the camp. Central to the camp is a concealed headquarters where all administrations are done and is the sacred abode of high-ranking warriors.

My father guides me through the camp, greeting passing patrolling knights.

The silhouette of the camp comes into sight. A wave of mixed feelings rushes through. At one point, I abhor the very existence of such painful memories but it was also a memorable part of my life.

I'm back.

My father glances at me. "Do I need to give you a tour?"

I shake my head, silent. He brings me to a section at the parameter where screams of training can be heard. The scent of sweat and hard work invades.

In the courtyard surrounded by a dormitory building and trees, four young men my age turn their attention to me. They finish their last set and stand upright.

"At attention!" They shout in unison. My father nods and they relax.

"This is Loi Krist, my son who recently advanced as a Master Swordsman. The headquarters have decided to deploy him as your commander, any objections?"

"No sir." The man at the front says. With a chiselled physique defining his muscles and thick black hair cascading messily around his shoulders, he is Issac.

Behind him, each is unique in their field. One commanded attention with his imposing stature, standing like a fortress. His face is framed by a charcoal-thin beard, presenting the start of his warrior journey, the man's name is Masoc. Another has a diminutive physique belying the potential agility that lies within. His face bore the shape angles of a knife with cheekbones that cut, a small man called Kaden. The last has a mundane physique akin to a normal person with the only explementary feature pertaining to his unique dash of ashen hair and icy blue gaze. The name is Aeon.

"I'm sorry about this Loi. The headquarters are more than happy to accept you, however, taking into account your 'inexperience', they will temporarily assign you to this small team. I've done what I can without revealing your true nature," My father says.

"No, it's fine. I was looking for them." I say with a smile.

My father catches on and nods. "For now, your team will be under me and Chief Commander Zepdas. Keep an eye."

I nod. "Keep yourself safe too."

He leaves after a smile.

The four people stare at me as I stare back. This was the squad I joined when I first enlisted. It's a few years from now so all of them look so...different.

...

"How...may we address you, sir?" Issac asks.

"Loi is enough."

"Understood, Sir Loi."

They gaze at my expression, trying to grasp what I am thinking. This team is often labelled the stain of the army so being deployed here would be an insult to my ego. Yet I do not care and walk to the front.

"All of you are warmed up from training, right? Let's spar," I say.

Although confused by the sudden request, they agreed.